Went Orange

20 replies to this topic
  • 96sp00wr

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:08 PM

So men, after riding my 2000 WR 400 since 2000 I finally wanted to get something newer and went with the '13 KTM 500 EXC. I must say it is pretty amazing. I think the biggest difference is how it holds its weight so low, it almost feels like a heavy trials bike.. Also e-start and the most amazing clutch I ever felt. So to keep the WR? It is in very nice shape and most likely not worth much? Any ideas on that?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by 96sp00wr, December 17, 2012 - 04:09 PM.

• GlennR

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Those are a couple of sweet looking bikes.

Like you said the WR's not "worth" much, but it's too nice a bike to "give away". I'd keep it around as a spare for when a buddy's visiting, or save it for somebody that you don't mind "giving" it to.

• allterra

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:38 PM

Very impressive appearance on the 2000. I have seen several 2011-12's that don't look that good.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Miss being man-handled yet? I had a 2000 WR. Bullet-proof machine, but man, you either rode it hard or it rode you. It was a handful riding the Pac NW woods on that bike. A buddy that I sold it too still has it. It's his sand bike and he loves it. It's NEVER broken down. Congrats on the new pumpkin.

• 96sp00wr

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just keep her as a spare monster. Bryan, you are so right about the WR being a handful. I think riding this bike for so long in the tough stuff has made me a better person.. Although I will miss the Explosive "Hit" of the WR...

• Bryan Bosch

Posted December 17, 2012 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just keep her as a spare monster. Bryan, you are so right about the WR being a handful. I think riding this bike for so long in the tough stuff has made me a better person.. Although I will miss the Explosive "Hit" of the WR...

I have an 08 KTM 450 XCRW and just love it. Doesn't ride like a fofiddy in the tight stuff. But then again, I've not ridden a late model dub-r either. I understand they are quite good to. Yes, if you can ride an old dub-r in the nasties, your new skoot will make you feel like a hero. ;)

• Monk

Posted December 17, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Keep the WR as a spare bike, slim down the 500 though. Get a nice licence plate holder, shave the front blinkers, get a Sicass Multi switch, throw a larger tank on, a Rekluse etc etc. I race my 500 thats how good it really is but she is quite heavily modified. Im going to have the head ported soon as the bike really doesnt rev out. I have 160hrs on the bike so far and its been virtually bulletproof!

• YamaLink

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:38 AM

That KTM 500 is an awesome bike, and I like it for high speed riding where the power can unleash, both wheels sliding, etc., As others have alluded to, it's going to renew your Man Card in the tight nasty situations.

• kawi380

Posted December 18, 2012 - 03:02 PM

If you are going to change, then the 500 is the way to go. My ridden buddy just got one so I have had the change to ride it a little. Awesome bike, but I still like my 08wr450f better :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted December 19, 2012 - 07:33 AM

I think your WR is worth more than you think. It's in great shape.

Too nice to use as a buddies bike.

It'll just get trashed.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted December 19, 2012 - 07:39 AM

I think your WR is worth more than you think. It's in great shape.

Too nice to use as a buddies bike.

It'll just get trashed.

Don't ask me how I know this.

How? :lol:

• beezer

Posted December 19, 2012 - 08:15 AM

http://Posted Imagehttp://Posted Image

Edited by beezer, December 19, 2012 - 08:17 AM.

• n16ht5

Posted December 19, 2012 - 08:20 AM

keep it. You will kick yourself forever if you sell it

• GCannon

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:59 AM

http://Posted Imagehttp://Posted Image

That right there is how to make a man Laugh and Cry at the same time!

• MANIAC998

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Please tell me he didn't go down twice!!!

• Monk

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Please tell me he didn't go down twice!!!

I think the order of pictures is wrong, looks like it was just once.....

• beezer

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:40 PM

No just once. But it took an hour and a half to dry the thing out enough to make the 10 mile ride back to the truck.

Fun, fun, fun.

If someone really wants to go riding they'll go out and buy a bike like the rest of us do.

• Leardriver

Posted December 19, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Most of us have used their bike as a raft before. That's a great picture.

• Club America

Posted December 19, 2012 - 07:04 PM

ive got my 06 wr450. I love it.

but in the last few months ive ridden a '12 450 exc-w and a 13 250 exc-f the street version. both FI. both very very lightweight and powerful. the wr feels as an accurate analogy, the WR feels to the KTMs as the XR600, vintage early 90s as it did to the WR at the time. yamaha has missed the boat. that 350. fully street legal and every bit as powerful as the 13 FI WR and easily 40lbs lighter.

sad.

very sad.

• beezer

Posted December 20, 2012 - 03:31 PM

The new KTM's are really nice bikes but around 10K for the treefitty street legal.

My WR is paid for.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.