Economical 2005-6 WR450 AIS removal

14 replies to this topic
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 16, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Recently acquired a low-hour 2005 WR450 and was faced with having to un-do the half assed attempt at AIS removal the previous owner had done.
A real horror show that leaked badly and it had to go in favor of a proper permanent solution.

The GYTR AIS removal kit for the 2005-6 WR450s is a dodgy solution also, relying on clamping a cap on the 90 degree elbow coming out of the cylinder head.

There used to be pre-made options for AIS removal on these bikes, but now those are all gone except for the GYTR kit.

The solutions that are no longer available consisted of a plug that was driven into the hole in the head left after removing the pipe elbow. A much better solution than the GYTR kit.

Some will say the GYTR kit is nice because it includes a needle and throttle stop, but the value there is dubious considering that you can just cut the throttle stop and many folks (myself included) opt for the JD jetting kit so that makes the GYTR needle and jets unnecessary.

So, faced with not wanting to lay out $50 for the GYTR kit and its weak answer to the problem I set out to find an acceptable substitute for the plugs that are no longer available.

Behold the solution:

Posted Image

Dorman part number 555-106 freeze plugs, a whopping 39 cents each at O'Reilly Auto Parts. These are 12.1mm oil gallery plugs. The hole in the head is 12mm, and these fit perfectly. Actually a bit tighter than the pipe elbow I removed.

One plug installed:

Posted Image

There is a lip at the bottom of the hole that prevents them from being driven in too far. The hole is deep enough to accept as many as three plugs, but that is definitely overkill. As tightly as they fit, one should be plenty but erring on the side of caution and just wanting to fill the hole up so it doesn't collect a lot of mud and dirt I installed a second one:

Posted Image

These are not coming out without a drill and a slide hammer.

This is the proper, permanent solution to this problem!

For the small vacuum fitting on the head near the carb, a standard rubber vacuum cap is sufficient. Also for the airbox, a 1/2 inch rubber vacuum cap took care of that.

Total investment:

Dorman 555-106 plugs: .39 each, .78 total
Pack of assorted vacuum caps: 3.49

Total: $4.27

Less than 1/10 the price of the GTYR kit, and a MUCH better solution in my opinion!

This post has been promoted to a wiki

• MANIAC998

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Excellent post!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• still2smokin

Posted April 08, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for this awesome idea , I just got my AIS removal kit for 3 bucks at my local auto parts store .

Edited by still2smokin, April 08, 2013 - 04:29 PM.

• jsmith811

Posted February 09, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Anyone know if these plugs will fit a 07 WR250F head ? 

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 09, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Anyone know if these plugs will fit a 07 WR250F head ? 

From what I can see on the parts fiche it looks like it should fit.

• gjscott

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:27 AM

How do you remove the pipe elbow ?

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted March 05, 2014 - 01:33 PM

How do you remove the pipe elbow ?

It wasn't in super tight...     It was a bit easier for me since the engine was out of the bike so if I remember correctly

I just grabbed it with vise grips and twisted it while pulling.  Maybe also a tap or two with a hammer but great effort was

not required.

With the engine in the bike, maybe try a pry bar and tap on it with a hammer and a drift to keep it moving while prying...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1trackmind

Posted April 18, 2014 - 10:58 PM

I just did mine today. The motor was still in the bike, I removed the right radiator and used channel lock to twist it. It twisted until it hit the exhaust flange. I kept twisting it back and forth. The exhaust flange actually helped me get the elbow out. It worked great. Thanks for the idea.

• gatorfan

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:16 AM

I just did mine today. The motor was still in the bike, I removed the right radiator and used channel lock to twist it. It twisted until it hit the exhaust flange. I kept twisting it back and forth. The exhaust flange actually helped me get the elbow out. It worked great. Thanks for the idea.

What year/model bike?

• 1trackmind

Posted June 08, 2014 - 03:11 PM

What year/model bike?

2006 WR450.

• graytshirt

Posted August 25, 2014 - 07:29 PM

I know this is an older post, but I'm working on my 2005 WR450 and was able to get the 90 degree elbow out, but I'm not sure how I'm going to drive the gally plugs into the whole. Any tips on what you did? My engine is still in the frame.

• 1trackmind

Posted August 26, 2014 - 10:36 AM

I have a long, blunt punch that fit the plug. It is long enough that it was out past the frame in front. I had the tire turned so it didn't interfere with my hammer as I taped the plug into place. A piece of all-thread or something long like that should work. I think I used two plugs with rtv between them to ensure a good seal. I probably didn't need two but they were cheap and it would hurt anything.

• graytshirt

Posted August 26, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I have a long, blunt punch that fit the plug. It is long enough that it was out past the frame in front. I had the tire turned so it didn't interfere with my hammer as I taped the plug into place. A piece of all-thread or something long like that should work. I think I used two plugs with rtv between them to ensure a good seal. I probably didn't need two but they were cheap and it would hurt anything.

Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't removed my radiator until today, but once I got it out of the way I found a couple pieces of all thread and locked them together with a nut to make them long enough to get the job done.  Guess I just needed a little nudge to get going.  Thanks again!

• 1trackmind

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Glad you got it done.
We all need a little nudge every now and then.

• richsipe

Posted December 10, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for this idea and walk through! I just did this on my 2006 WR and it went really smoothly.

Hopefully this helps someone else, since my engine was in the bike I took photos of the process.

To remove the angled bracket in the head (really the only hard piece of this) and replace it with the freeze plugs. 

After removing the plastics and gas tank (not sure if that is necessary but it helps), I disconnected the top hoses on radiator with the cap as it is on the same side as the AIS and just laid it back carefully. Only a few dribbles of coolant spilled out.

NE5kpsj.jpg

Next I soaked the edges of the elbow with PB Blaster. To remove the pipe I put a long 1/4 ratchet extension inside of the pipe elbow and used it to turn the pipe back and forth. Once it was easily turning I was able to use it as leverage to turn and wiggle it up and out. It went very smoothly and there was NO damage to the pipe. 

Once the pipe was out I had to figure out how to get the freeze plugs in. Here is what I came up with: Using a 6.5mm socket and a 6" wobble extension (HF has these for super cheap) and a small hammer I was able to easily tap in the freeze plugs perfectly straight. 

PjwpsZb.jpg

wyBHuOU.jpg

Some of the posts here used all thread to pound in the plugs but my main down tube was in the way to do this well. The wobble socket extension and socket me the bit of angle I needed and great control. You don't have to hit this hard.

I went along with the group and used a second plug with silicone to seal off the hole. This one I barely pounded in. Everything came out great and seems to run well. 

EfBwohb.jpg

(PS: the Orange RTV everywhere was from the PO ... I can only be blamed for the little bit on the plug :))

Thanks again for this!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.