WR 400 question

4 replies to this topic
  • yam314

Posted April 23, 2001 - 05:22 PM

My 98 WR willmiss as if it is hitting a rev limiter when I am on the starting line trying to clean the engine out(like I used to do on my 2 strokes).It doesn't seem to rev very far when this happens.I swapped CDI's w/ my friends WR and it did the same thing.My question is-does everyone elses WR do this?If so, does anyone know if a YZ CDI will directly swap w/ my WR's box?I have never noticed this before and I have owned/raced the bike for over 2 years in the A class.

Jeff

• Taffy

Posted April 23, 2001 - 10:49 PM

your probably running very rich indeed.

wash & renew the air filter.

clean out the carb. reduce the pilot screw until it starts to gently back pop on a closed throttle slow down.

that will do it.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted April 24, 2001 - 05:55 AM

This could be wrong, but I thought there was a special ignition map when in neutral. A lower rev limit was designed to avoid overrevving when missed shifts occur.

The jetting is probably OK, unless you feel there are signs of it running badly. Cleaning the carb never hurts!

Mine does the same, so do YZ426's.

Not quite sure what you feel the need to "clean the engine out". Clean it out of what?

MC

• Bill

Posted April 24, 2001 - 07:25 AM

Not to offend, but it's not a two stroke and does not need to be "cleaned out".

I let my bike idle for 10 minutes when I get to the track and put on my gear. If I trail ride with my son and he falls. I let the bike idle while I help him. Then jump back on and "pin it", It's never "loaded up"..... it's not a two stroke :)

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• yam314

Posted April 24, 2001 - 06:28 PM

I guess I just rev it on the line out of habit(from the 2-stroke days).Anyways, the carb has been cleaned as well as the filter-w/o too much oil.Plug is slightly tan color.I have not changed jetting recently,but after the problem occured,I removed the octopus to see if it made a difference but it did not.I am going to change needle,ect. as per the recent posts on the subject.

Jeff

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.