Will a Holeshot Device for a 2008 YZ250 fit my 2006?

12 replies to this topic
  • Ih8Hondas

Posted December 15, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I thought they ran the same forks from 2006-current, but apparently they changed the length of the stanchions in 2008. It should still work if all they changed is the length though, right? Anybody know for sure on this?

• RCannon

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:30 AM

They did shorten them a few mm. But nothing that will hurt anything. The 06 was delivered with 5mm of fork showing above the upper triple. The 06 was delivered flush.

Be advised, you also need a 08 front axle and axle spacer to put thinks back together.

• Ih8Hondas

Posted December 15, 2012 - 10:51 AM

So they are the same stanchions then, just set at different heights from the factory? All I'm doing is looking to get the correct holeshot device, but Motosport isn't showing one for a 2006. Only 2008+, which led me to ask this question.

• Ih8Hondas

Posted December 17, 2012 - 01:48 PM

Anyone else? All I'm worried about is the part where the holeshot device clamps on the outer tube and whether they changed it when they shortened them.

• paulschauer

Posted December 17, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Physically the collar should fit since the fork tubes are the same diameter. The 06 and 08+ fork guards are different, so I imagine the template you put on the fork guard to drill the holes to mount the latch wouldn't line up correctly? This is for the WC ProLaunch I have, the template exactly matches the 08+ fork guard.

I think you could get a holeshot device to work fine but you'll have a little trial and error getting the latch set to the height you want since the template won't line up exactly on the 06 fork guard like it does on the 08+ fork guard. You'll also have to compensate for the stanchion height difference, I can't confirm that difference though.

• BRM

Posted December 17, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Same stanction diameter. it will fit no problem.

• Ih8Hondas

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:12 AM

Alright. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks, guys.

• RCannon

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Wait a second..I remember trying to use the black, 2008 lower fork guides on my 06 forks. They were too marrow to fit in the groove where the white 06 guide sat. Is this where the holeshot device fits?

• Ih8Hondas

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:24 AM

Wait a second..I remember trying to use the black, 2008 lower fork guides on my 06 forks. They were too marrow to fit in the groove where the white 06 guide sat. Is this where the holeshot device fits?

Google Works Connection Pro Launch. That's what I'm planning to order. It has a collar that goes around the lower end of the stanchion and the catch mechanism that screws to the fork guard. Assuming the info the other two provided regarding the stanchions is correct, the only issue I should have is setting the mechanism to compress the forks the desired amount. That is unless the radius of the newer style fork guards is drastically different from the '06 ones, which I doubt. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference even if they are.

• pdyz125

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:07 AM

hmm maybe just order a set of fork guards too with your wholeshot device?

• Ih8Hondas

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:23 AM

hmm maybe just order a set of fork guards too with your wholeshot device?

I would still probably have to do trial and error. If they made the stanchions shorter I assume there's more tube sticking out of the bottom that the guards have to cover up. Anyone have any answers for that? Will new style fork guards fit on the '06 fork lugs?

• RCannon

Posted December 19, 2012 - 04:01 PM

One of the guards fits, the other wont. The brake side will work on any model, The non brake side wont. Just Yamaha f-ing with us as they changed it in 08.

• Ih8Hondas

Posted December 19, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Crap. Oh well. Trial and error it is then.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems by Hoffy77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ85 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ85 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 YZ125 "intro" by Racer X by YamaLink

• 18 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ125 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ125 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.