03 YZ450 in need of 96db exhaust. Who is running what?

10 replies to this topic
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm sure it has been asked before but I did some searching and found some info on the Lexx pipe. It does not sound to bad for the price. I have heard of some power loss with it. I was just wondering if anyone is running one or anything els for that matter that meets the 96db @ 4500 rpm requirement for the NHHA and district 37 desert and enduro series. Also FMF claims some db reduction with their power bomb header. I'm not looking for any more power here I'm just looking to not lose any while meeting regulations.

Also on a side note FmF has a close out site with a good deal on the power bomb for 03-05 bikes and some jet kit.

Edited by f150jokerstyle, December 14, 2012 - 11:01 PM.

• YZPaGuy

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:13 PM

I run the Lexx, great with the MX tip. It really opens up the mid range. With the most restrictive tip in you will notice a power difference but it makes the bike allot quieter

• WouldsAssassin

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm running an FMF Q4 with quiet tip and spark arrestor and it's pretty quiet. I'd even like it a little quieter but it is quieter than all my friends bikes. Haven't had it tested, yet.

Actually while riding my 2011 the intake bark is louder than the exhaust.

Edited by PilotHonda, December 17, 2012 - 07:33 PM.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Oh and thank you for shopping for a quiet exhaust. I hate loud pipes. The louder they are the more land we lose to ride on.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted December 17, 2012 - 08:43 PM

I run the Lexx, great with the MX tip. It really opens up the mid range. With the most restrictive tip in you will notice a power difference but it makes the bike allot quieter

Did you notice any loss with the one with the spark arrestor on it also or is that the one your speaking of?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted December 17, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Oh and thank you for shopping for a quiet exhaust. I hate loud pipes. The louder they are the more land we lose to ride on.

To be honest quite it fine by me I just don't want to lose any power from stock. Did you notice any loss anywhere with the q4?

• SparksXR426

Posted December 17, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Im a big believer in quiet pipes too. However, I think you'll stand to lose a noticeable amount of power with the Q4. I ran the megabomb/q4 combo on my 08 and had to drop from a stock 45 pilot to a 42 to get it to run right and it was pretty choked up. My buddies wouldnt even hear me coming, you'd be WAY below 96db I think.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted December 17, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Im a big believer in quiet pipes too. However, I think you'll stand to lose a noticeable amount of power with the Q4. I ran the megabomb/q4 combo on my 08 and had to drop from a stock 45 pilot to a 42 to get it to run right and it was pretty choked up. My buddies wouldnt even hear me coming, you'd be WAY below 96db I think.

That is what I have been kind of reading and thinking. I see that the 4.1 and ti power both have 94db inserts but I just wonder if that chocks it down to a q4 level of performance

Edited by f150jokerstyle, December 18, 2012 - 04:07 PM.

• FRANTIK1

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I run the Lexx on my 09. With the insert in it, there is a big power loss. I wanted a quiet ride, but the power loss was way too much for me. I bought the 34mm tip and spark arrestor screen, and can pull the front wheel up for puddles again whenever I want. It won't do that with the quiet insert in. You are going to lose power no matter what exhaust you get if you restrict enough to make it quiet.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I run the Lexx on my 09. With the insert in it, there is a big power loss. I wanted a quiet ride, but the power loss was way too much for me. I bought the 34mm tip and spark arrestor screen, and can pull the front wheel up for puddles again whenever I want. It won't do that with the quiet insert in. You are going to lose power no matter what exhaust you get if you restrict enough to make it quiet.

My thoughts exactly. Okay I know what i'm going to do thank you everyone!

• WouldsAssassin

Posted December 18, 2012 - 11:31 PM

To be honest quite it fine by me I just don't want to lose any power from stock. Did you notice any loss anywhere with the q4?

99% of the time I ride on public land so I needed the spark arrestor right away. I never rode it with the stock pipe. It's got loads of power with the Q, I beat a very well modded CRF450 and two Raptor 700s pulling a fifth gear power wheelie in my only drag race on it. It's just a pipe, some are louder, some quieter, they all pass gas.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.