California

I just etched my bike

24 replies to this topic
  • Dumb_Fee

Posted December 13, 2012 - 02:29 PM

I was going over my bike with a fine tooth comb. Getting it and myself ready for our big motocross dèbut. ....and I decided to treat it to a little degreaser. Got a phone call, left the degreaser on a little to long and it looks like I etched the shit outta the metal parts. Any tips?

• XR250rdr

Posted December 13, 2012 - 02:38 PM

pics?

• Jeff aka Travolta

Posted December 13, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yep... even Simple Green will etch your metal parts. They even came out with a motor sports version to sell. The answer is don't do it. I don't think there is any going back short of polishing the affected parts.

• BODIEFW

Posted December 13, 2012 - 03:23 PM

unfortunately, Jeff is right

• Save_A_Tree_Eat_A_Beaver

Posted December 13, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yep... even Simple Green will etch your metal parts. They even came out with a motor sports version to sell. The answer is don't do it. I don't think there is any going back short of polishing the affected parts.

whaaat. Damn I use Simple Green all the time. Whats the best thing to use then? Dish soap?

• Dust_Devil

Posted December 13, 2012 - 04:06 PM

S100

• jfgjr

Posted December 13, 2012 - 04:41 PM

whaaat. Damn I use Simple Green all the time. Whats the best thing to use then? Dish soap?

Muriatic acid, works better than SG and other weak environmentally friendly products :thumbsup:

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted December 13, 2012 - 04:44 PM

S100

Hmmm just looked it up. Seems reasonably priced..

Muriatic acid, works better than SG and other weak environmentally friendly products :thumbsup:

:bonk:

• Dust_Devil

Posted December 13, 2012 - 04:55 PM

S100 is an amazing product.

Buy it by the gallon.

• squid reuel

Posted December 13, 2012 - 05:13 PM

what kind of degreeser, i like simple green but i don't wash them much because I'm a trail rider and dirty scratched up and broken bikes is a sign of a good ridder up here in nor cal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted December 13, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks just bought some.

• Jeff aka Travolta

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:03 PM

S100

At $45 per gallon for S100... I'll stick with Ajax dish soap... :)

Edited by Jeff aka BOLT, December 13, 2012 - 07:03 PM.

• PALMER84ONE

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:09 PM

SG crystal. No etching and its sweet but $22 per G.

• HEYbilly

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I was going over my bike with a fine tooth comb. Getting it and myself ready for our big motocross dèbut. ....and I decided to treat it to a little degreaser. Got a phone call, left the degreaser on a little to long and it looks like I etched the shit outta the metal parts. Any tips?

Damn I did the same thing to my bike on Sunday. What I did was rub It down with a mild steel wool ( the aluminium parts that Is ) then hit it with Pledge. It looks better than before .
Just my 2 cents... Hope It helps.

Edited by billybadassOK, December 13, 2012 - 08:53 PM.

• Neversurfaced

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Muriatic acid will destroy your bike. It's used to accelerate rust...

Posted December 13, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Muriatic acid will destroy your bike. It's used to accelerate rust...

Thats the joke

• Jeff aka Travolta

Posted December 13, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Thats the joke

Yes... but I can guess which 5 guys already Googled it... and 2 that plan to buy some tomorrow on the way home from work... :lol:

• gr8dngr

Posted December 13, 2012 - 09:49 PM

i use chain cleaner on the grimy areas, its mild enough for oring chains, washes off clean!

• gr8dngr

Posted December 13, 2012 - 10:40 PM

its only a problem unti you have a solution! i have an idea, take the parts off and get them powder coated, win win, hehehe :cool:

Edited by gr8dngr, December 13, 2012 - 10:45 PM.

• Dumb_Fee

Posted December 14, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Damn I did the same thing to my bike on Sunday. What I did was rub It down with a mild steel wool ( the aluminium parts that Is ) then hit it with Pledge. It looks better than before .
Just my 2 cents... Hope It helps.

Yeah, I took my power ball and buffed out the kick stand, clutch cover, fork stancions, and triple clamps. The hardest is going to be my black rims.

I've used muratic acid to clean tile before......should work wonders on my bike!!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.