2 years post op ACL, Knee still hurts after activity

42 replies to this topic
  • JD07CRF

Posted December 11, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Its been 2 years since my ACL surgery and thought for sure I would be at 100% by now. My knee can feel good and strong but whenever I put some moderate activity on it like riding a track or even jogging for 30 minutes it will get sore right away and mostly hurts near full extension. Sometimes it takes 1-2 weeks to recover fully from riding. It also pops 2-3 times a day while getting up from a chair or getting out of a car. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm starting to think my surgery knee will never be the same.

• hm450

Posted December 12, 2012 - 01:53 AM

Same for me after 1 year

• SoCaL07yz250

Posted December 12, 2012 - 02:07 AM

Wow, pain and popping after 1 and two years? I'm having my first ACL reco done next month and this saddens me.

• redrooster65

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:51 AM

I start to feel my operated knee more when I get lazy, non operated knee pops more than the operated one. No real pain to speak of and if I do it is from the graft area, not the ACL.

8 months post op, quad tendon graft.

• thestuz

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:19 PM

7 months post op here. pops and still sore.

• itsallbizz

Posted December 18, 2012 - 11:10 AM

My acl was completely severed, doc put a cadaver acl in and now I am 7 months post op and still very sore. especially when jogging or any kind of weight training. I am getting very frustrated.

• 1talbotj

Posted December 20, 2012 - 06:27 AM

its been a year and a half post op for me, i find if i don't exercise routinely my knee is sore. i was told 2 years was the key time for soreness. i used the Hamstring graft procedure.

• Rider 41

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Best to get comfortable with the pain guys, 15 years post surgery here, still hurts, feels tired all the time and boy can I feel the weather changes... Oh, and don't even think about squatting down, the pain for me is absolutely unbearable. I'm 52 ride every weekend and have learned to live with the pain.

• David_L6

Posted December 23, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Best to get comfortable with the pain guys, 15 years post surgery here, still hurts, feels tired all the time and boy can I feel the weather changes... Oh, and don't even think about squatting down, the pain for me is absolutely unbearable. I'm 52 ride every weekend and have learned to live with the pain.

Yep. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

I've had surgery on my left knee twice. The last time in June of '09.

• smv ryder

Posted December 23, 2012 - 10:38 AM

MCL/PCL, I used 2 cadaver acl's and 4 titanium screws 18 months post op and knee sore after activies. Just went snowboarding this morning and my knee is very sore. I guess I need to hit the gym more til the soreness goes away

• Two Dog

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:54 PM

11 years for me, still pops and mostly sore where the graft was. Never has gotten as strong or flexible as it once was ... I'm sure age is not helping either. As only guy said, just have to learn to live with it.

• handycaprider

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:15 PM

well at least your knee bends. my right knee does just 5 degrees, i have to kinda drag it around :cry: but i still ride :ride:. temporary relief of minor aches and pain: alcolado and marijuana put the marijuana in the alcolado. i am not sure on the time you need to let it set. so that's what i hear. try it out and let me know.

• smv ryder

Posted December 23, 2012 - 03:10 PM

well at least your knee bends. my right knee does just 5 degrees, i have to kinda drag it around :cry: but i still ride :ride:. temporary relief of minor aches and pain: alcolado and marijuana put the marijuana in the alcolado. i am not sure on the time you need to let it set. so that's what i hear. try it out and let me know.

Move to Colorado to help with your pain... Your second fix will be a little easier to enjoy here

• jnr450r

Posted December 23, 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'll second that...

Motocross is a tough man's sport

• SoCaL07yz250

Posted December 23, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Stop with the horror stories!!! I'm only 19 and if I have to live with this for the rest of my life... :banghead:

• Bubbagums

Posted December 23, 2012 - 08:58 PM

My first knee surgery was in 1975. Had my ACL replaced in 1990. Couple of other clean ups. Some days better than others. Still pain. No full motion. The biggest problem I have is that most exercise irritates the knee which makes cardio conditioning tough. Still ride and my knee feels better after riding.

• SoCaL07yz250

Posted December 23, 2012 - 10:02 PM

My first knee surgery was in 1975. Had my ACL replaced in 1990. Couple of other clean ups. Some days better than others. Still pain. No full motion. The biggest problem I have is that most exercise irritates the knee which makes cardio conditioning tough. Still ride and my knee feels better after riding.

Did you have full range of motion before the surgery? My doctor wouldn't operate on my knee unless I had full range of motion

• Bubbagums

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yup. Before the ACL. Abuse and injuries have taken a toll since then. You just get used to the pain and people asking you about your limp. (Don't hear that from my wife). Knee was good enough to do the first 320 miles in the last Baja 1000. Legs were sore afterwards, but knee was fine.

• JD07CRF

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Holy crap! didnt know that so many others out there with the same issues as me. And i was thinking my surgeon did a botch job. Some people get back to 100% but they are rare from what i see.

• TwoBobRob

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:41 PM

5 years post op. Pain and stiffness every day.

As Over 40 rider said; best get used to it.

BUT - and it is a big but - the knee is stable again. I can step down off stuff (haven't been able to do that for 25 years) and it felt markedly different (in a good way) the first time I snowboarded post op and kicked a ball.

Related Content

Wiki
No More Blistered Hands! - last post by mxwink509

No More Blistered Hands!

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer? by Fade

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  63 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.