Barstow to Vegas Gas tank ?

9 replies to this topic
  • jim1234

Posted November 17, 2003 - 06:49 AM

How big of a tank do I need to ride this ride.
Thanks,JIM

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 17, 2003 - 11:23 AM

I will be attempting the LA B to V with a Clarke 4.3. My understanding is that 4.3 gallons is enough. uh.......I hope.

• cat0020

Posted November 17, 2003 - 11:41 AM

You can try going all out with Acerbis:
Posted Image
Total near 10 gallon of gas, I think it gives the XR650R a cruise range of 400 miles at least. :) :D

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 17, 2003 - 12:15 PM

Nothing like adding an extra 70 lbs to your bike........be like doing the LA B to V on a Harley.....

• jim1234

Posted November 17, 2003 - 07:13 PM

I had about a 4 gallon tank on my 600 when I did it. I don't know what the milage will be on the 650 . I just bought it.I know with the tank full you could fell the extra #'s. The thing I couldn't forget is how cold it was!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF450X

Posted April 28, 2004 - 08:39 PM

I get between 25 and 38 mpg. I too have the Acerbis 6.0 gallon Sahara tank and love it! I live in the desert so when I go out I go OUT! We average 250 miles a weekend riding easy! How do you like the rear tank? I was thinking about it but it would seem to put the seat a little to high for me. I'm not short but I'm not tall either. 5'11". who makes your front light? :thumbsup:

• Roll_it_on

Posted April 29, 2004 - 04:34 AM

I could just see me with ten gallons of fuel on my bike falling over on the side of the hill and sitting there watching 7 gallons spill out of my carb overflow because I couldn't pick the pig up until it got rid of the gas. Then to have a greeny ranger come and report me to the EPA and haul me off. I better stick with the stocker and ride within site of my truck. :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted April 29, 2004 - 08:06 AM

Get the Clarke 4.3g like I did. It's a noticeable weight difference, I won't lie to you. However, for the peace of mind if you ever "happen" to get lost it's nice.

• irondude

Posted April 29, 2004 - 10:25 AM

The under the seat half of the Acerbis carries 3.6 galons. I use it with the IMS 4.6 gallon front tank for a reasonable distribution of weight. Thats over 8 gallons. It will fit with most if not all the aftermarket tanks.

I find the 6 gallon front Sahara tank from Acerbis is top heavy and puts the weight far forward.

My Dakar bike will run the IMS 7 gallon front tank, and the Sahara rear tank. 10.6 gallons!

The Edelbrock carb can be leaned out to greatly increase milage. Both the needle jet and the pumper can be worked to get nearly 40 miles to the gallon. For Baja racing-the richer settings and heavy pump will give it more like 22-25 mpg.
A 400 mile range is theoretically possible, but 325- 350 miles is really the conservative limit in terms of planning gas stops.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted April 29, 2004 - 11:05 AM

Get the Clarke 4.3g like I did. It's a noticeable weight difference, I won't lie to you. However, for the peace of mind if you ever "happen" to get lost it's nice.

Very true... very true...

But even though we're all on a 4 stroke....
Plug changes are simple as pie with the Clarke 4.3 :thumbsup: - Try it with IMS 4.6 or anything larger. :awww:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.