yz400f clutch parts list?

6 replies to this topic
  • mediumdaddy

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:05 PM

I did try and search for this, but couldnt come up with anything definate. I need to know exactly what parts i will need to replace my clutch on my 99 400. everything - and how many of each thing, please!

• Jeff22

Posted December 08, 2012 - 05:56 PM

http://www.rockymoun...em-parts/Yamaha

Is this what you're looking for?

Edited by jdwxyz, December 09, 2012 - 02:19 PM.

• mediumdaddy

Posted December 09, 2012 - 12:38 PM

well kind of - in fact this is where i will be ordering the parts from. I just needed to know what parts i will need to replace. i was going to order the tusk kit, but i read it has some overheating issues, and so i decided to go oem. Just need to know how many of each part i will need. 5 springs, but how many of each kind of clutch plates?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeff22

Posted December 09, 2012 - 02:22 PM

If you follow the link and enter your bikes year and model, then select the clutch schematic, it shows you every piece of the clutch and the prices.

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2012 - 07:47 AM

The trouble is that the only one who can see your clutch to inspect it is you.

Typically, the basic list includes a set each of friction plates and steel plates, along with new springs (springs are too cheap not to replace). Avoid "heavy duty" aftermarket springs. Most of them are stiffer than necessary, and will do nothing really effective except increase the effort at the lever.

Beyond that, you'll need to inspect the clutch basket (outer housing) and boss (inner hub). On both these, look for excessive "notching" wear at the points where the plates run against the splines and tabs. Additionally, check to see if the primary driven gear can be rotated left and right on the back of the basket. Any more than a couple of degrees of slack there indicates collapsed torsional cushion springs, which would mean replacing the unit. In the case that the torsional damper is OK, but the basket itself is beat up, aftermarket baskets are usually quite a bit less expensive than buying the complete OEM assembly, but may be hard to find for a 400.

• mediumdaddy

Posted December 10, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Gray - so i'm assuming you don't recommend the tusk kit either then?
There was quite a few positive reviews, but the negative ones were all the same - overheated and swelled, sometimes to the point of having no clutch at all until it cools off.

Edited by mediumdaddy, December 10, 2012 - 03:47 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2012 - 09:39 AM

No, I prefer OEM or, if aftermarket, premium stuff like Hinson. OEM works perfectly well in my '06, even in the technical stuff in desert racing with a Rekluse.

Tusk is one of those outfits that buys from vendors and then repackages/rebrands the stuff for resale. Tusk is a little better about keeping the flakier products out of their lineup than some of the other companies that work that way, but they can still have problems with inconsistent quality. The reviews are what they are.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.