Kick start arm keeps breaking, HELP.

5 replies to this topic
  • CR2CRF

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:48 AM

My buddy has a 2009 YZ450F and his kick start arm keeps breaking right at the pivot knuckle. Here is a pic of his sixth one. After the third, Yamaha stopped giving him new ones.

So here is his routine and how they break. Bike starts cold as usual. No problems. Then, when it's warm, and he is as far away from the truck as possible, he stops to take in the view. When he goes to start the bike and pulls in the hot start level, he says he gets a compression type kick back and wham, that small piece flies off. Now the kick starter is useless. That little knuckle keeps the starter from flipping back towards that back of the bike.

Can this starter be swampped out with another year/model? Any ideas?

Posted Image

• Methotic

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:02 PM

Maybe the auto compression release is not working properly. You shouldn't have to kick it with enough force to break a kicker like that. The timing may have jumped and is causing the auto compression release on the exhaust cam to fail. Make sure your cams are lined up good and the timing chain has good tension.

• CR2CRF

Posted December 08, 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'd like to agree but it's been happening sionce the bike was new. But I will see if he can bring it by so I can look at it. I am sure he has no idea what you just said. And I have seen things like this happen from the factory.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:22 PM

If it kicks back that hard, I'm surprised it hasn't hurt him. Wear boots when troubleshooting.

This sounds like an ignition timing fault. Too advanced when cranking. Timing is controlled by the CDI. It uses the signal from the pickup coil to determine crank position and engine speed, then looks at the TPS for throttle position as a way of determining engine load. If any of these components are faulty, it could cause this.

If the flywheel key is sheared or displaced, that could do it, too.

Then again, he might be causing his own grief if he's twisting the throttle open on an engine that isn't flooded.

• peaceofwork

Posted December 10, 2012 - 12:20 PM

2 stroke guys love to blip the throttle when kicking and that makes a 4stroke kick back

• CR2CRF

Posted December 10, 2012 - 05:25 PM

If it kicks back that hard, I'm surprised it hasn't hurt him. Wear boots when troubleshooting.

This sounds like an ignition timing fault. Too advanced when cranking. Timing is controlled by the CDI. It uses the signal from the pickup coil to determine crank position and engine speed, then looks at the TPS for throttle position as a way of determining engine load. If any of these components are faulty, it could cause this.

If the flywheel key is sheared or displaced, that could do it, too.

Then again, he might be causing his own grief if he's twisting the throttle open on an engine that isn't flooded.

He says it starts cold fine. Like first or second kick. But warm is abeast to start and uses the hot start but then the kick back and wham! Broke again. This is since brand new.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.