1985 DR250

4 replies to this topic
  • Maknwine

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Picked it up not too long ago on a deal with a HondaXR250. Wanted the XR but got the DR thrown in(Both bikes for $600). It actually is a good running bike, starts right up with a couple of kicks, but does smoke a little on start up. Just missing the side panels, has a jacked up rear fender, and pimp paint job on the engine and frame in flat black. The XR250 ended up being a Mosquito fogger. Will need a topend teardown coming soon.

Looks like manual shows topend work can be done with engine in frame. I want to try removing the valve cover and replacing valve stem seals in hopes that will eliminate the smoking on startup. Is there a valve compress tool everyone recommends that will do the Zuki and work on Hondas as well?

Tks
Tom

• Rocgarrison

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

Over the summer I rebuilt the top end on my dr650 and used the same valve compresser I used on my small block Chevy. Don't know if this help but worked just fine

• Maknwine

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Over the summer I rebuilt the top end on my dr650 and used the same valve compresser I used on my small block Chevy. Don't know if this help but worked just fine

Hey, that's even better. I gotta do my 91Blazer valve seals and it's a 350 cu in. too.

Is there a number or model of the valve compressor you have?
Tks
Tom

• Rocgarrison

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

Nope just a generic I picked up at the auto parts store. Oreillys I believe

• Maknwine

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Nope just a generic I picked up at the auto parts store. Oreillys I believe

Cool, tks for the help. I hope to get to the Suzuki valve stem seals in the next month and then maybe I'll give the Chevy 350 some needed attention.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.