Valve Adjustments

2 replies to this topic
  • m2g4b

Posted October 24, 2001 - 03:31 AM

I have a 98 model yzf and I'm getting a little ticking noise in the motor. the valves have been adjusted once since new, is it time to do it again, its been almost two years since done. is this an expensive job or simple? thanks for all the info...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmcbride

Posted October 24, 2001 - 04:55 AM

Yes it is time! Valve clearance should be checked on regular intervals like oil changes etc. Do you have a manual? Pre-titanium years seem to need a little more adjustment, my trend on a '99 is tightening (seat wear?)over time (more early), but I have only needed to re-shim twice (6months old, and last winter). They have been stable now for almost a year. Some friends with 98's (lots of miles)have actually turned the corner and have seen some loosening. If the bike has been ridden regularly you are almost certainly out of spec and could possibly burn a valve that is not fully closing not to mention compression loss. There are detailed explanations of the process on this site, simply search "valve adjustment" or look on technical page. It is not that hard. BTW, check the timing chain while your at it.
Good Luck, Keith

• motoman393

Posted October 24, 2001 - 11:32 AM

Check the technical FAQ on the WR426 side! It has 2 detailed procedures on how to do the valve adjustments.

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.