426 Still has what it takes

3 replies to this topic
  • MNellis

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:25 PM

In my first year back dirt bike racing in about 35 years, I'm proud to say that my '00 426 still has what it takes to win. In the Hare Scrambles series here in Texas my 426 took me to a final race win and overall championship win in the 50+ C class. I also finished on the podium overall in the 450F C class. Frequently, my lap times have been in the top 5 of the same 'B' class.

I bought this bike about 7 years ago and it promptly blew up 1 hour into the first day. I repaired the top end, piston and all associated parts and rode in a couple of events when it blew up again with less than 10 hours on it. Frustrated, I was ready to part it out but, instead, I put it in the back of the garage and continued road racing. About 18 months ago I replaced the damaged cases with some eBay units and replaced the top end with new parts. The bike has run great ever since. The suspension is stock and original with the only changes being a Rekluse clutch and '03 decomp cam.

The moral of the story? I guess it is that, while the new stuff is very nice, don't discount the older bikes ability (whether it's a 426, or older 450) to hang in there with the best of them. My bike is not pretty but it starts first kick when hot and one or two kicks when cold.

Here is clip of this weekend's 50+C race. Dead engine start.

Edited by MNellis, December 03, 2012 - 07:26 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2012 - 10:07 PM

There's more than one 426 still raising hell in District 38, too. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • etuke

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:41 PM

why are the youtube videos that are on these forums all white?I cannot view the video only get a white picture,sounds ok.If I convert it to 3d it will show but not in 2d.

• tommie594

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:33 AM

cool vid!!

00' 426 here also...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.