So the new yz450f is....

13 replies to this topic
  • MtuSmoker

Posted December 03, 2012 - 06:51 PM

AWESOME! Took my 2012 out for the first time this weekend at Haspin Acres in Indiana which has a great hare scramble course and a decent moto track. Came away fully impressed with this thing. Coming off a 03 Ktm 300 and a wr426 both with suspension set up for woods. This "moto" bike blew both away in the woods. Hard starting? This thing would start in first gear no problem. Attacked every rock, root and hill with out a hiccup. Had to be ridden hard, and could use a tooth or two on the rear sproket but this thing made me smile everytime I ripped it. Handled the moto track as good as it could with my 225lb ass on it. Couldn't be happier with this bike and would recommend it to any one. Go blue

• ryno060

Posted December 03, 2012 - 10:19 PM

I completely agree with your assesment of the 2012 bike. I got mine a couple months ago and broke it in up in the woods. Bike scared the crap out of me but I loved every second of it. Last weekend I threw the paddle tire on it and took it to the Oreogn Dunes. This bike is a beast on the sand. It is absolutely incredible!!

• Modmotoman

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:20 AM

Yes it is grossly undergeared stock.

• 559stan

Posted December 04, 2012 - 07:17 AM

For under $400 you can throw on a rekluse 2.0 exp and dial out the compression dampers on the forks. These two mods will make that MXer a cool trail bike. Fun

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Yes it is grossly undergeared stock.

I'm assuming you meant over geared (overall ratio too high). 13/48 is what I run on my desert racer '06, which is required to do some pretty technical rock and canyon crawling here and there along with 90 mph lake beds and the like. I have to settle for something more like 80 on the lake, but with the Rekluse, it can run that whole range quite well. It's the best cure for the problem short of reconfiguring the transmission.

• KUSTOMZMAN1

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm no woods rider, but I love my 12. I dont have issues with the front end, though I do have my suspension set up with a internal rear shock spacer (similar to doing a link, but all done within the shock). I'm running 404/403 tires, though I think my last combo of MX31 front an MX51 rear was just a good, if not a bit better up front. Im a vet (31) intermediate rider and love everything about the bike. Running Marmont map with a FMF slip on and Ironman 50 tooth rear sprocket. Dont let all the talk and haters bring down this bike. Majority of the guys I ride with love them..with very few exceptions.

• Modmotoman

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:07 PM

The old 06 and 07 was fine with a 48 rear but the 2010 plus has major gaps between gears with the 13/48. This may be in due to the power curve of the motor but still,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:57 PM

The old 06 and 07 was fine with a 48 rear but the 2010 plus has major gaps between gears with the 13/48. This may be in due to the power curve of the motor but still,

The two transmissions are identical, as is the primary drive ratio.

• Modmotoman

Posted December 04, 2012 - 03:48 PM

[color=#222222]I know they are but like i said "This may be in due to the power curve of the motor but still" I stated the power curve is totally different so is the motor, timing curve and fuel delivery. These two motors cannot compare I have owned them both.[/color]

Edited by Modmotoman, December 04, 2012 - 03:48 PM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted December 04, 2012 - 04:07 PM

AWESOME! Took my 2012 out for the first time this weekend at Haspin Acres in Indiana which has a great hare scramble course and a decent moto track. Came away fully impressed with this thing. Coming off a 03 Ktm 300 and a wr426 both with suspension set up for woods. This "moto" bike blew both away in the woods. Hard starting? This thing would start in first gear no problem. Attacked every rock, root and hill with out a hiccup. Had to be ridden hard, and could use a tooth or two on the rear sproket but this thing made me smile everytime I ripped it. Handled the moto track as good as it could with my 225lb ass on it. Couldn't be happier with this bike and would recommend it to any one. Go blue

I just need to know if the motor has smooth, roll on power that can be used without exhaustion in a long event. I like to ride a gear high and torque along. Thanks.

• Modmotoman

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yes it can. The roll on power is very close to the older 05-08 CRF450 with more responce but it does run short on over rev. You might want to change the map a bit and gearing.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:52 PM

For the over rev issue, most have been able to improve it significantly with a good quality slip-on, even without gaining too much noise. The restriction at the outlet of the stock pipe is said to be responsible.

• MtuSmoker

Posted December 05, 2012 - 04:38 AM

I just need to know if the motor has smooth, roll on power that can be used without exhaustion in a long event. I like to ride a gear high and torque along. Thanks.

It could ride a gear high no problem, although i found that I never once had to shift into third in the woods until it opened up to connect the tracks. I am a bigger guy and did not notice it being heavy or slow reacting and did not notice it wearing me out any faster than my 300 did. I found it very easy to ride hard and fast. Its funny because I was so damn nervous when I first took it out after reading the reviews on different forums but after this weekend I don't think I can believe anything I read on the internet. I felt comfortable on it after one lap and really found it easy to ride.

Edit: Mine came from the dealership with a Vance and HInes XCR slip on, and did not notice any flat spots through the revs

Edited by MtuSmoker, December 05, 2012 - 04:40 AM.

• MX763

Posted December 05, 2012 - 06:01 AM

For the over rev issue, most have been able to improve it significantly with a good quality slip-on, even without gaining too much noise. The restriction at the outlet of the stock pipe is said to be responsible.

I put a K&N on my 2011 and it helped temendously with the over rev. That, combined with an FMF slip on and the Marmont map, my 450 has a ton more over rev than stock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.