any problems with the 07 yz450?

14 replies to this topic
  • kawasakimx8

Posted December 03, 2012 - 08:16 AM

guys, i have been MIA for 2 years. my last bike was a 09 kx250f and loved it, i rode woods and raced harescrambles. sold that bike and my new 2011 yz250 with 2 hours on it and havent been on a bike for 2 years, the shop im working at now has a really clean 07 yz450 and the prce is pretty good. my one buddy, who was on here (qwik12beat), had a yz450. we rode together alot and he seemed to like his bike, but he was involved in a very bad accident at a race almost 2 years ago and was killed unfortunately. my question is, is there any major known problems with these bikes i should look for? the bike has sat at the shop for prolly 2 years so when i get slow at work im gonna pull the carb off and clean it good. any motor related problems?

• FinchFan194

Posted December 03, 2012 - 01:30 PM

No nothing major really. Replace the timing chain ASAP would be my only advice.

• kawasakimx8

Posted December 03, 2012 - 02:40 PM

ok, repalce it because of it being used, or is there somehting wrong with some of the ones that come on them factory? bike prolly has less than 40 hours jusdging by case wear and everall condition.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 03, 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yes some had problems. It is also a high wear item.

• crf450319

Posted December 03, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I replace my cam chain every 50 hours, like Finch said.. it's a high wear item.

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2012 - 06:17 PM

It's also a cheap item that can potentially cause trouble. None of mine have been at all faulty when I changed them out, but I did so anyway. The most common thing that happens is that the links get tight and bind so they don't pivot freely. That puts an artificial level of tension in the chain that "fools" the tensioner. If the link pops free at the wrong time, timing problem. That can potentially be catastrophic, so $20 a year is what I call really cheap insurance.

The cause of the kinking links is, IMO, usually related to lubrication.

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted December 04, 2012 - 03:11 AM

Great bike, I always do a top end, cam chain and suspension when I buy a used bike. I know They all didnt need it but I know where I stand wit a fresh top end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jakethomson

Posted December 04, 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have had mine since it was new and I ride easy. I have almost 75 hours and just now need to adjust my valves. Have checked them 2 times and they were perfect. I did just crash and smash my exhaust though. Not sure if I am going MRD or LeoVinci? Any advice?

• 559stan

Posted December 04, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Make sure that new pipe has a spark arrester, some don't and may exclude you from riding some areas...

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted December 05, 2012 - 03:58 AM

I have had mine since it was new and I ride easy. I have almost 75 hours and just now need to adjust my valves. Have checked them 2 times and they were perfect. I did just crash and smash my exhaust though. Not sure if I am going MRD or LeoVinci? Any advice?

I have the MRD pro comp II and like it, It gave me great power low,mid and high. The guys down at MRD are great and will most likely cut you a deal if you talk to them.

• RidingTwoLive

Posted December 05, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hey STR how much did a top end cost you on you '06?

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted December 05, 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hey STR how much did a top end cost you on you '06?

$150 piston &rings
$250 Cylinder
$20 Cam Chain
$30 gaskets
$40 fluids

I could of just got the original cylinder plated but I wanted all the parts handy for a weekend job. And those prices are just estimates, but close.

Edited by STR8SHOOTR, December 05, 2012 - 03:49 PM.

• RidingTwoLive

Posted December 06, 2012 - 05:49 AM

$150 piston &rings
$250 Cylinder
$20 Cam Chain
$30 gaskets
$40 fluids

I could of just got the original cylinder plated but I wanted all the parts handy for a weekend job. And those prices are just estimates, but close.

Thanks!

• jakethomson

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Stocker with mrd exhaust and seems like its a screamer. Can't wait to try it on the track. Mrd looks and seems amazing. Glad I was pushed that way. It was between that and dr d. Think I made the right choice especially since I like to change my oil frequently. It is the life of a bike. My 07 has never had the valves adjusted and starts right up. I only have about 80 hours but seems great. Maybe one day I'll will buy a new one but not now.

• jakethomson

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Oh and I only thought I needed a valve adjustment. I don't believe they is the case now. Starts right up with larger pilot and new exhaust. Only replaced because of the the crash damaged stock pipe, but can't wait to test new exhaust. MRD racing I think will rock!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.