is my clutch on its way out?

3 replies to this topic
  • mediumdaddy

Posted November 30, 2012 - 06:07 AM

THis doesnt necessarily need to go in the model specific forum, but gray has been so helpful! I went for a ride 2 days ago, and i noticed that every time i pulled in the clutch to stop or even just slow way down, the bike would die unless i was giving it a little throttle. I just had the carb rebuilt, and i know the jets are clean, and it idles fine in neutral, and runs great other than this. the clutch is adjusted all the way out, and i knew it was getting close. any thoughts?

• FinchFan194

Posted November 30, 2012 - 06:38 AM

That's what mine did.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2012 - 07:22 AM

There are three different conditions you might be describing:
  • Clutch drag. If it idles significantly slower in gear than out, tends to pull forward at a stop in gear, and/or is harder than normal to find neutral, the clutch is failing to release when disengaged. This can be caused by adjustment (too much slack), bad plates, and/or a beat up basket/boss.
  • Clutch plates "sticking". The symptoms here are a little different. You roll up to a stop, pull the clutch, and find it won't release unless you blip the throttle. Once you get it to let go, it acts more or less normal. Certain combinations of motor oil and aged clutch lings can cause this, or it can be notches in the basket or boss "camming" the plates together.
  • Idle too rich. This assumes you have a four-stroke. With an overly rich idle (usually incorrectly done to eliminate decel popping or improve throttle response), the engine will "coast down" faster on a throttle release, and may dip below idle speed briefly or stall.

• Methotic

Posted November 30, 2012 - 04:14 PM

Mine was doing the same thing. I can assume you mean the clutch is dragging in gear. Changed out the friction plates and steel plates and also put in some new springs. They sell them in kits, I used the Tusk clutch kit,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.