Questions about 2000 wr400f

6 replies to this topic
  • Cajohnson

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:02 PM

I just bought a street legal 2000 wr400f. I have ridden dirt bikes here and there but grew up riding atvs. I just bought the bike because i thought it would be fun to have a street legal dirt bike. I dont know any history on the bike except a few notes that one of the previous owners left in the front page of the service manual and i can't make heads or tails of them.. Could someone please help me understand what these notes mean? This is what they read:
"Throttle stop removed/shortened"
"Grey wire already cut (no timing retard @ full throttle)"
"Installed gap on auto clutch = .030 to .042 inch"
"Stock plate thickness= .047"
"Rekluse plate thickness= .055"
3-8-06 "3 rekluse plates = .030 gap"
3-8-06 " approx 700 miles"
2-28-06 -"set exhaust cam timing to 1/2 setting (1 tooth clockwise)"
-"check valve clearance (good)"
-"removed airbox lid"
-"grey wire mod is done"
3-12-06 "performed bk mod"
-"AP Squirt duration .53 to .58 seconds (=2 seconds stock)"
-"AP Squirt timing set @ = 1.5 to 2 mm after slide clears"
"Disabled Air Cut valve circuit"
-"removed spring, flipped diaphram over so pin is out/ circuit is closed"
-"replaced stock #75 PAJ w/ #100 Pilot Air Jet"

Those are the notes that are written down. Any help or info is greatly apreciated.

• MrN2OBelvedere

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:07 PM

For one thing, if it is a year 2000 bike it is a 426, this is a good thing.

On each of those line items you can just search the site and find info. Most of that stuff is cheap/free mods you can perform to make those bikes a lot faster. Does the bike have an automatic clutch? Some of those notes pertain to setup of an auto clutch.

• Cajohnson

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:05 PM

The title on the bike says 2000 wr400f.. Was it called this but actually a 426? Also the clutch doesnt feel any different than anything else i have driven and i have been using it just like any other clutch.. And thanks, i will be sure to search everything else.. The only other thing i was wondering about is that there is like a small lever/switch mounted under the right side of the handlebars with a small clear rubber hose coming off of it like fuel line.. Does anyone know what this does?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted November 30, 2012 - 05:46 AM

For one thing, if it is a year 2000 bike it is a 426, this is a good thing.

Only in the US I believe. Not 100% sure but I seem to remember other parts of the world either sold both for a while or took a few extra years to go 426. Look at the base of the cylinder, not sure right or left side on that bike, but you should see a displacement marking.

OP, where does the clear hose go? Do you have two hoses on your rear brake?

Like was mentioned search on here and read the Stickys, basically your bike has all the free mods and sounds like it was setup by someone who frequents here and knew what they were doing. Or at least tried to!!

Also you may have a Rekluse auto clutch. Start the bike, put it in gear like normal, let it idle and slowly let out the clutch to see if it starts moving forward without giving it any gas. If it does move the Rekluse is probably removed or mis adjusted; if you can let the clutch out all the way in gear and the bike doesn't move forward, you have an auto clutch and search here for Rekluse and read up.

• cookeye

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:06 AM

The title on the bike says 2000 wr400f.. Was it called this but actually a 426? Also the clutch doesnt feel any different than anything else i have driven and i have been using it just like any other clutch.. And thanks, i will be sure to search everything else.. The only other thing i was wondering about is that there is like a small lever/switch mounted under the right side of the handlebars with a small clear rubber hose coming off of it like fuel line.. Does anyone know what this does?

Bar mounted hot start
I have a wr400 registerd in 2002, looks the same as 426 blue and black seat stainless exhaust ti valves but 400cc, better crank than early models i had 99 and 2000 they was all great bikes, the 2002 still looks and rides like new.

• freeriders98

Posted December 06, 2012 - 01:23 PM

I believe the 98-00 WR's are 400's

01-02 WR's 426
03+ 450

But in 2000 the YZ was 426, WR was still a 400

• miweber929

Posted December 06, 2012 - 01:40 PM

I believe the 98-00 WR's are 400's

01-02 WR's 426
03+ 450

But in 2000 the YZ was 426, WR was still a 400

Correct, for the US.

Overseas and Canada were different I believe....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.