TECHNICAL HELP REQUIRED

23 replies to this topic
  • miweber929

Posted December 10, 2012 - 05:05 AM

Well shouldnt the idler gear be loose in there then if it didnt have that bush as it is tight as in there when i install those two gears????
Yes i have installed the washers as i done that when i took these pics above.
So now i just need the so called bush?

Well i did replace that part as that was part of the reason i done the upgrade mine was fingered.
To check it the gear should only spin one way correct?

Not the small middle gear, the big one that goes behind the flywheel. Actually I bet the gear is just fine, it's the starter clutch that is bad.

I'm just guessing here long distance, BTW, but something caused your starter to seize and subsequently wear the teeth off the splined end. Since you replaced a bunch of stuff already, it worked a bit, then this happened, I'm sort of looking at other things being wrong or bad that caused this damage than those. At this point I'd try to spin the lower gear sticking out of the engine case either forward or backward to see if it spins. If it doesn't in either direction I'd say that's your issue. If it does spin, well, good luck to you then.

Edited by miweber929, December 10, 2012 - 05:08 AM.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 10, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Not the small middle gear, the big one that goes behind the flywheel. Actually I bet the gear is just fine, it's the starter clutch that is bad.

I'm just guessing here long distance, BTW, but something caused your starter to seize and subsequently wear the teeth off the splined end. Since you replaced a bunch of stuff already, it worked a bit, then this happened, I'm sort of looking at other things being wrong or bad that caused this damage than those. At this point I'd try to spin the lower gear sticking out of the engine case either forward or backward to see if it spins. If it doesn't in either direction I'd say that's your issue. If it does spin, well, good luck to you then.

Before you go spend money on the starter clutch you need to put the bushing in the case and most likely replace the starter. Once you've done that you can check to see if there's still a problem. I've never seen a starter clutch fail such that it drives in both directions. Usually it slips in both directions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Ran across these pics showing the difference between the 03 and 04 covers. Thought it might help.

03 cover without bushing:

Posted Image
03cover1 by pbdblue, on Flickr

04 Cover with bushing:

Posted Image
04cover1 by pbdblue, on Flickr

Edited by PBDBLUE, December 10, 2012 - 08:57 AM.

• BajaFool

Posted December 10, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Seduce,
Not to pile on you, but PBD Blue and Miweber929 have it correct about what has gone wrong with your bike. You did not install the bushing that reduced the diameter of the hole in the side case where the new 2004 gear assy was to be installed. This allowed the gear assy to wallow around in the hole. In addition, you failed to install the two washers called for in this upgrade. This caused the new gear assy to move up and down as it rotated.

As a result of leaving out these parts, when you attempted to start the bike the new gear assy moved up and down cutting into the side case and wallowed around until the gears jammed together and locked. Wtith the gears locked, the starter continued to spin each time you attempted to start the bike. The teeth on the end of the starter wore down turning against the locked up gears.

Somewhere in the Thumpertalk archives you should find a number of posts that I made concerning the history of the 2003 sheared woodruff key issue, complete parts lists that PBD Blue and I, as well as others, provided and very complete instructions to install this update. Search using "2003 starter upgrade" or similar posted by Baja Fool.

PBD Blue, I'm in CO this week. The skiing is just marginal.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.