'06 YZ 450f Gearing For Trails Riding?

8 replies to this topic
  • RidingTwoLive

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have been trying to find a sprocket combo to lower gear a '06 YZ 450f for trail riding and haven't found anything available... Where do you YZ 450f trail riders get your sprockets and what sprocket combo do you run? Also a good gold chain is on the list but I don't know what length or which brand. I am basically new to the YZ scene so I need some guidance.

• gbalias

Posted November 28, 2012 - 11:06 AM

JT sprockets has all sorts of them.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/

Thumpertalk store has stuff:
https://www.thumpert...prockets-c3679/

and theres also Rocky Mountain:
http://www.rockymoun...44/54/226/Drive

I always use Regina ORN6 chains (but i think now theyre just called the MSR Gold chains)

I forgot what gearing i have set up on my 08. i think its the 13/49. seems to work good for me, but your speed and trails may dictate a different ratio

• High_Boost

Posted November 28, 2012 - 11:19 AM

the most common gearing for woods is 13/52 (13/49 should be stock)

I personally run 12/49 which is the same overall gearing, but some people say that the 12 tooth front sprocket is a bad idea, I don't remember why.. maybe accelerated chain guide wear or something.. the next time I get a set I will switch to 13/52

• FinchFan194

Posted November 28, 2012 - 12:05 PM

I disagree with gearing a bike down for trails, I run 13/49 which works just fine. I ride lots of tight woods with technical terrain and I also race Hare Scrambles. Lowering the gearing makes the bike too jerky for me. I want smooth power. To each his own though just giving you my opinion. Whatever you do at least get some type of sealed chain, a solid roller chain will get destroyed in a heartbeat on trail rides.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RidingTwoLive

Posted November 28, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the advice guys and the quick reply's! :thumbsup:

• gbalias

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:54 PM

with the gearing i have, im able to switch to my supermoto setup without switching chains. :thumbsup:

that was the determining factor with what i had selected. i would get a 50/51 rear, then keep a couple Cs sprockets with you...theyre cheap and easy to change out if you want some variation.

• RidingTwoLive

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Mainly Trail and MX.

• Yzf_Buz

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:52 AM

I would go to Nate at Dirt Tricks and get a 13/52 set of Ironman sprockets then you can also order a Z-ring chain from him also.....

• dgcars

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:00 AM

13/52. I slot the mounting holes on the chain guide to drop it. Otherwise I find it very hard on the plastic insert.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.