98 yz400 project bike or upgrade to new toy

2 replies to this topic
  • Jsladwig

Posted November 27, 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have a 98 yz400 and it's time to decide if I want this to become a full project bike and start rebuilding everything I can and setting this thing up to off road or if I should swap for something a little newer and lighter and build the new toy up. Thoughts / experience....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gbalias

Posted November 27, 2012 - 10:53 AM

setting up for off road? whats it now?

i can only speak from experience. i had a 98 400, a 2000 426, and now ive got an 08 450. lemme tell ya.....once i got on the aluminum framed yz, i asked myself why the hell i waited so long. i used the 426 for supermoto mostly, and as the power was there to hang with the newer 450's (and even beat em on the straights) I felt i had gotten to the point where its handling was a limiting factor.

i immediately noticed a huge improvement in handling and the feel of how much lighter the newer chassis are.

so id say if youve got a little coin saved up, sell the 400, put that money and what youve saved on a nice 06-later bike, and have fun with it.

• Methotic

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I never owned a older yz450, but my 2006 rides like a dream! I swear it handles like my old 250f did!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.