2002 YZ426F - Cold weather issues

3 replies to this topic
  • DarkFourTwoSix

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hey there, as the title says I have the old 426! Anyway, its bored and stroked, sadly I don't know the specifications because I got it from a middle man, it leaves a 2002 crf450 behind like a 125 2 stroke would to a 125 four stroke, if that helps explain the power.
As it became colder out, I noticed it would like to backfire more and doesn't like idling :thinking: (on average about 40 degree's out)
I'm new to owning yamaha's, any suggestions would be appreciated! cheers! :cheers:

• jojo1224

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Go up one size on the pilot jet, you will need to adjust the fuel screw slightly but it will fix it. You may want to go one up on the main jet too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • etuke

Posted November 27, 2012 - 01:55 PM

I would just try the fuel screw first,back it off some to see if it runs better.

• Pooley

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Basically you are running to lean. As the temperature drops, the air becomes more dense, so more air actually is going through the engine than before. You need to increase the fuel to keep the same air:fuel mixture. Not idleing and popping on decel when you close the throttle are both signs that you are lean on the pilot jet, fuel screw or both.

Try richening the low end with the fuel screw by turning it OUT, maybe 1/4 turn at a time until the popping stops. I can run my WR426 in any temperatures from 30degF to 100degF, just with adjusting the fuel screw. Sure it may be a little off at the extremes (I jetted it while it was about 60-70degF outside) but usually just a bit of fuel screw adjustment and any popping or sluggishness goes away. I only ride trails so I don't really care that I am not achieving "maximum performance".

If you can't get the popping to go away with the fuel screw, go up one size on the pilot as already suggested.

Edited by Pooley, November 27, 2012 - 05:52 PM.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.