What is Reasonable Price for WR450?

36 replies to this topic
  • gottaroost

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:54 AM

I am looking at a WR450 that is in pretty good shape all around. The plastics are about all that shows age. It is a 2004 and it is titled...no plates, just a title. I am curious what is a fair price for one of these beasts. Also my intention is to use it on trails exclusively, and some of these trails are extremely boulder infested, so lots of step ups and downs. Will this be just too much bike for this use? I am 6'2 and 200# if that means anything to bike size.

• MANIAC998

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:58 AM

If your a good rider, the bike will work just fine. I don't know what the going price is. Can you check the Blue book value?

• BajaFool

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Kelly Blue Book. Aim to pay somewhere between "trade-in" and a few hundred dollars under "retail". I would never pay retail for a bike this old, especially if it is a private party selling it. A private party can't offer a warranty, discount on parts or an assurance that the bike is in sound condition.

Also check out Craig's List for your area or areas near you to at least develop a feel for the market. Just remember that many people have no clue how to price items for sale or they deliberately price things using the "greater fool" theory. While the bike you are looking at may be a nice bike, it is quite old as dirt bikes go.

• DrFeelGood

Posted November 26, 2012 - 12:03 PM

I paid $4200 for a brand new (old stock) 2008 WR450 in Feb of this year.

$2000 worth of aftermarket parts later, it's my dream bike.

For an 04 I'd think that $1500-$2500 depending on condition, maintenance records and upgrades. Remember, that bike is 9 years old.

• jetfuel

Posted November 26, 2012 - 01:04 PM

+1 with Dr.F

that is a fair price range, I have an 04 and I'm 6'3 and have plenty of room although bar risers and a tall seat make it even nicer.

It will do anything you want it to do.

• E4x4Eric

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:50 PM

I paid $1,800 for my 03 with a plate and it rode like a new bike with a tight engine.

• gottaroost

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:18 PM

I drove about 30 miles to the other side of town to check it out this evening. The gentleman had owned it a couple of years and the maintenance done at a local shop. The bike is complete except that there is no headlight. It has an hour meter, and the electric start all works fine. It starts up and gets to operating capacity pretty quickly. He tossed in a shop manual, oil filter, No Toil kit and an extra clutch lever...plus clear title. I brought it home for $1250 just about an hour ago---he was asking $1500 but I told him it was not what I felt it was worth, so we agreed on that price. I plan to go through it and freshen all the fluids and make sure everything is lubed and tight before I take it on the trails. I guess I will be lurking around here for awhile.

• Bandit9

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Congrats. I would say $1250 is a good deal. Coming with a street legal title makes it an effing great deal.

I paid $3800 for a low 30hr 06 model that was titled/ plated back in 09. Sold it this Aug for $3000.

This May, I bought an 09 with about 20 hrs on it, titled/plated for $4500. It was like new.

• JTucker

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:38 PM

Good deal, I bought an 05 a few months back for $2500 with an off road title. The only reason I got it was I got there first. The bike still had the original tires on it that weren't even worn out, all the paint was still on the frame. It showed about 200 miles on the trip and was still corked up. I was offered $3k for it the first ride out.

• jetfuel

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Congrats on the new toy !!! that was a GOOD deal!!

post a pic when you get a chance.. :ride: enjoy..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Welcome to the Yamaha fraternity!!! I think you got a really good deal on that bike, for that price. :thumbsup:

• DrFeelGood

Posted November 27, 2012 - 06:34 AM

:applause:

:banana:

:worthy:

• gottaroost

Posted November 27, 2012 - 03:23 PM

I will snap some pictures soon...thanks for the votes of confidence on this deal. I do not have much instinct regarding anything WR in nature so I was actually having buyer's remorse while driving away...gonna let that go now.

I also have a 2004 YZ250F and although it is totally stock, it seems to really explode out of the gate faster than this 2004 WR450. Maybe that is just my first impression. I am not complaining, probably a safer ride on the 450 lol. I actually feel more in control on the WR for some reason although it has a much bigger motor. I wonder if my ideal bike might be a WR250F....any takers for a trade??? Well, I should give it a chance before I go handing it off right??

I noticed the PO had the boinger clickers all over the map. Just as a starting point I have front comp and rebound now at 15 and rear upper at 3 and lower at 10( I think it was 10,,,have to look again. Just pushing on it in the garage that felt the closest to my other trail bikes...very unscientific no doubt. For a totally stock suspension, where do some of you put the clickers for a comfortable ride? I do not jump the bike at tracks, only on whatever I encounter on boulder infested trails where I ride...so I like it very plush so I am not dead at the end of the ride.

• miweber929

Posted November 27, 2012 - 04:30 PM

I was disappointed in my 04 WR after coming from a woods setup 00 CR250 until I properly spent some time on it. Make sure all the "free" mods are done and its properly jetted before trying to trade it.....and spend a few weekends getting used to it before making too many judgments. I LOVE it now and wouldn't sell it for $3k.

My bike PO did the same thing with clickers all over the place; I reset everything to stock (stock setting are in the manual) and went a few clicks here or there but its close to stock. Just know the garage push is NOT a good way to set things, start at stock, but make sure everything is fresh before you do much more. Proper sag is a must on this bike.

Edited by miweber929, November 27, 2012 - 04:32 PM.

• gottaroost

Posted December 03, 2012 - 01:48 PM

Ok, will keep that in mind. Guess I better ride it before I do to much bench adjusting.

I do have one question...not sure about this but the bike looks very nice to me, EXCEPT that the graphic on the gas tank looks terrible. It is not ripped or anything, it is just faded/yellowed to a color that does not match the other graphics that are not on the tank---they line up from the tank to the shrouds, but the color disparity is huge. I have seen this in pictures of other older Yammies and maybe it is just a design flaw...is there any better graphic to come back with, or any way to give this one some CPR?? Mine's a 2004 and that is the only spot that looks really old.

Guess I need to post pics soon---I have not posted pics in soooo long, do I need to post a link to photobucket or can I just add pic files.

• miweber929

Posted December 03, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I do have one question...not sure about this but the bike looks very nice to me, EXCEPT that the graphic on the gas tank looks terrible. It is not ripped or anything, it is just faded/yellowed to a color that does not match the other graphics that are not on the tank---they line up from the tank to the shrouds, but the color disparity is huge. I have seen this in pictures of other older Yammies and maybe it is just a design flaw...is there any better graphic to come back with, or any way to give this one some CPR?? Mine's a 2004 and that is the only spot that looks really old.

It's not a design flaw, per say, but an almost 10 year old bike that has had gas vapors slowly seep out the plastic tank and yellow what once was a white graphic. My 04 looks the same way; honestly I got used to it though there are different graphic kits available still, though personally none look and wear as good as the stock Yamaha stuff.

It s what it is IMHO; I have NEVER had aftermarket graphics stay as good as original OEM ones do on a gas filled tank so i have just grown to accept it.

• Bandit9

Posted December 03, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Like he said It is normal. Same thing happens to aftermarket gas tanks. They look yellow. This same thing drove me crazy on my 06 which is the basically the same setup. I found FLU Designs graphics company. They made me some new tank/shroud graphics for like $50. They didn't look stock, but it looked good.image.jpg

• YamaLink

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:27 PM

In addition to the good price of $1250 you can factor in the time not shopping and calling and driving around searching, and just work on and ride the new bike. Congrats.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:00 AM

The YZ 250f will almost always seem quicker off the line than the WR. Huge weight difference is primarly the culprit. That, and the explosive MX style of power, which isn't the stock style of WR power. You can change it too suit whatever you want though.

• gottaroost

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:56 AM

<p>

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.