Need more protection

7 replies to this topic
  • norm02

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hey all,

I am going to be replacing my fatory plastic skid plate with a heavier duty one. I was thinking about getting one from Enduro Engineering along with their hand guards. Devol makes a nice looking unit as well so if anyone has any opinions I would apprciate them. Also, does any one use a rear master cylinder guard? Works connection makes one

Thank you,
Jay

• W R

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:27 PM

I just cracked the factory plastic one last ride so I too am going to be purchasing a new skid plate. I will have to figure out which brands I have on my other bikes. They all seem to do a pretty darn good job but the one I purchased for my 05 CRF250X last has more holes than the others and it seems to wash out easier. If I can dig up what it is I will get back to you. Shouldn't be to hard to figure but I definitely like that feature of it.

As far as the rear master cylinder guard I am running it and at the time of purchase I was wondering if it was overkill? now that I see several skuffs on it I think I am going to add it to my boys bikes as well. Cheap insurance I think.

As far as Handguards go I am a Probend only kinda guy. I just really like them and have them on all of my bikes. Here is a picture of my bike when she was a litlle newer and more scratch free if you know what I mean.
Posted Image

• norm02

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Having holes for easier wash out would be nice. I just want to make sure that I find one that does not transmit more vibration and is not havier than it shoud be. I love our bikes but they sure are heavy! Probably going to get master cylinder and rear disc guard as well.

• n16ht5

Posted November 26, 2012 - 08:43 AM

I have a ricochet skid plate. I really like it. Cycra does make nice hand guards.. I have cheap moose hand guards that work fine for me though (made in usa).
Don't forget radiator braces and guards. both my radiators are bent to hell but don't leak thanks to the combo of guards and braces.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have a 2008 450WR with a Flatland skid plate, Devol radiator guards and Cycra full handguards. I cracked the L/H side case "10 miles past nowhere" in Baja. That convinced me to upgrade to a serious aluminum skid plate. They are a little noisy however.

Another worthwhile upgrade are the Devol radiator guards. The Devol product is so strong it eliminates the need for the addition of radiator braces. Now I pull sticks out of the radiator guards and not out of the radiator fins, after a long day of tight single track riding.

The Cycra hand guards are a quality product and anyone who would ride offload without full hand guards is seriously into pain.

I think a rear master cylinder guard is a waste of money.

• norm02

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:37 AM

I ended up ordering some bark busters and plastic deflectors from Enduro Engineering this morning. Going to be getting new skid plate from them as well in the near future. Thank you for your help!

• n16ht5

Posted November 26, 2012 - 01:08 PM

Another worthwhile upgrade are the Devol radiator guards. The Devol product is so strong it eliminates the need for the addition of radiator braces. Now I pull sticks out of the radiator guards and not out of the radiator fins, after a long day of tight single track riding.

The Cycra hand guards are a quality product and anyone who would ride offload without full hand guards is seriously into pain.

You didnt happen to see my picture did you? That rad has a Devol guard AND a brace. The other side looks almst as bad.

• KennyMc

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:42 PM

I have a 2008 450WR with a Flatland skid plate, Devol radiator guards and Cycra full handguards. I cracked the L/H side case "10 miles past nowhere" in Baja. That convinced me to upgrade to a serious aluminum skid plate. They are a little noisy however.

That's pretty funny. I just replaced my rear master cylinder as both of the bracket holes broke when the bike fell on its right side. $125 for the cylinder. Lucky I guess :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.