Wr450 choke relocation

11 replies to this topic
  • mslow

Posted November 25, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Anyone have any info to offer on relocating the choke to a better spot?
With the acerbic 3.3 gal tank, the choke hits the tank and won't stay out unless you hold it.
Thoughts?

• MANIAC998

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:43 AM

Hmmmmmm.............. I've never had that problem. What year bike are we talking about? Are the tank mounting rubber bushings in good shape and in the correct location? Can you "shim" the tank on the left side to gain a little more clearance for the choke? How is your jetting? With my '06, when I start mine using three blips of the throttle & choke, I can turn the choke off in about 5 seconds, no exaggeration. So if you can't gain any additionally clearance, perhaps this is an option, just hold it for the 5 seconds?

• mslow

Posted November 26, 2012 - 12:12 PM

The bike is an 05, just been pretty much rebuilt from the ground up.
The jetting is perfect, but when it's only 35 out, the choke definitely helps.
I suppose I could shim the tank out a bit, but I don't think it'll be enough to allow it to stay locked in the out position.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 26, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Anyone have any info to offer on relocating the choke to a better spot?
With the acerbic 3.3 gal tank, the choke hits the tank and won't stay out unless you hold it.
Thoughts?

I had this problem too with my 05 and the Acerbis tank. You could try to flip the rubber grommets around on the tank, but then you run the risk of the right side petcock leaning against the headbolt and burning a hole in the hose, which is not good.

Utimately you just need to get this...

http://www.sisneross...-choke-assembly

• mslow

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:44 AM

^good info, wonder if i could make something myself

Edited by msanna, November 27, 2012 - 05:44 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted November 27, 2012 - 12:28 PM

You could probably cut a half inch off your stock one, thread the brass and put a nut on the end of it to have something to pull on. I might try that as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mslow

Posted November 27, 2012 - 12:47 PM

You could probably cut a half inch off your stock one, thread the brass and put a nut on the end of it to have something to pull on. I might try that as well.

thats exactly what i was thinking too, probably find a small plastic knob to thread on at the local hardware store.

• woods-rider

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:53 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking too, probably find a small plastic knob to thread on at the local hardware store.

If you do it before I do be sure to post up some pics!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:31 PM

^good info, wonder if i could make something myself

You'd go through that trouble just to save 25 bucks? Seriously??????

• mslow

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:02 AM

If you do it before I do be sure to post up some pics!

Will do!

It's not the $25, it's the lesson learned about how to do it. I don't plan on owning this bike forever and if I run in to it again I'd rather not have to spend the money a second time when I could have learned how to do it myself. I'm far from cheap, but take a lot of pride in learning to be self-sufficient when ever possible...same reason i've never...ever...in 25+ years of riding, taken a bike to a dealership for service.

Edited by msanna, November 28, 2012 - 05:03 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted November 28, 2012 - 07:08 AM

$25 plus shipping, plus time? ABSOLUTELY!

• William1

Posted November 28, 2012 - 08:30 AM

If anyone is interesed, Eddie Sisernos of SSW sells a short-shaft choke.
http://www.thumperta...for-the-fcr-mx/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.