WR400 with YZ450 2008 carb

4 replies to this topic
  • batmobil

Posted November 25, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hi all.
I just bought an old 1999 wr400 that had some idle issues. Bought a JD kit for it. But instead of fiddling with the old carb to get it right I decided to go for a newer carb since that seams to be recommended. So a couple a weeks ago I purchased a YZ450 carb with throttle and cables plus the remote hot start. Every thing bolted on well enough. (I have left the old 1999 separate from the carb hot start on, but dont use it) The problem now is that the will start at all. It started easy enough with the old carb and it still has a spark. But for some reason it will not run. Tried with new plugs. The carb looked clean when checking it, but I have reopened and cleaned it and all jets with carb clean and blew through the jets with compressed air just to be safe. No change. I don't know if the jetting for new carb is stock. Can anyone that have done a similar swap give some pointers on the jetting changes they have done?

• MANIAC998

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:47 AM

Well, you've got to let us know what jets you have first. I know it's a pain in the butt, but your going to need to tear into that carb and find out what jets are in there, then we can give you some advice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted November 26, 2012 - 08:39 AM

are any jets clogged on the new carb? did you try spraying some ether in there to check ?

• batmobil

Posted November 26, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for replying!

I am getting quite good at getting the carb in, thorn down then in again :thumbsup: I have ordered a rebuild kit for the new carb that comes with everything. That way I know what my setup is and are sure that all jets are stock. Gone take a week to get to Norway though :cry:

All the jets look fine but I have sprayed them with carb cleaner and blown through them with compressed air.

My guess is that some of the jets are to fare off.....

• n16ht5

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Try 165/48 jets. What's in there now?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.