Rear Tire size

8 replies to this topic
  • firejake69

Posted October 22, 2001 - 01:34 PM

Will a 120/90 rear tire fit my 00426? 110/90 is the original size.

• motoman393

Posted October 22, 2001 - 05:07 PM

yes that is the size tire I am running!

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• G-Man

Posted October 22, 2001 - 06:28 PM

Yes it will work but weigh them side by side and you will be shocked! Plus they are taller and can affect the steering geometry.

For off road use they are great, but for moto I don't recommend them.

• chopperman

Posted October 23, 2001 - 05:51 AM

How about going with a 120 tire with a lower side wall profile? Do you think this would help. Any ideas on where to find one? I would like to get a little more tire under the rear fender.

Originally posted by G-Man:
Yes it will work but weigh them side by side and you will be shocked! Plus they are taller and can affect the steering geometry.

For off road use they are great, but for moto I don't recommend them.

------------------
Chopperman
00 KTM 520 EXC
01 Yamaha YZ 426
78 Yamaha TT 500
78 Yamaha SR 500

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firejake69

Posted October 23, 2001 - 01:17 PM

Originally posted by motoman393:
yes that is the size tire I am running!

What brand is it? and how does it hold up on sharp rocks? I ride desert. Thanks

• Hick

Posted October 23, 2001 - 01:30 PM

G-Man,

I’m interested in your comment about 120s for moto. If I remember correctly a few national riders use them on certain tracks (mounted on 18” wheels however). I run them exclusively, but there are no tracks around here so all I ride is off-road. As for weight, you should weigh the 739 Desert A/T I use for rocky courses. Very heavy.

But the larger tires do affect handling, and maybe explains why I like a bit more sag (105) on my bike. They may make brake slides harder, and I was told once they hurt straight line stability a little bit.

Chopperman,

Be careful with the sizing, it isn’t apples to apples. I recently eyeballed an installed Michelin 130 mm with an aspect of 80 I believe. It didn’t look any wider at all than a 110/90 Dunlop, and was definitely smaller than a 120/90 Dunlop. I also noticed this with a Pirelli MT44 rear I tried once. Great tire, but noticeably smaller than a similarly sized Dunlop.

Don’t know why this is, but tires are not sized the same across brands, so when I see the smaller aspect ratio offered by Michelins, for example, I wonder if it is really meaningful.

Off topic, I just tried a Pirelli MT 44 front for my last race (sand whoops, sand washes, and rocks), and I really like it. It held up against the rocks well, I got a front flat in the same race last year, but time will tell if it wears like a 756.

• MX_Tuner

Posted October 23, 2001 - 03:32 PM

Hick, Michelin uses the old metric scale where most everyone else uses the new metric scale. New Michelins usually come with a yellow sticker that gives the new scale equivalent.

The 120 Michelin is the equivalent to a 100 Dunlop/Bridgestone/etc. The 130 Mich is the same as a 110 Dunlop and the 140 Mich is the same as a 120 Dunlop.

------------------
MX Tuner

• G-Man

Posted October 23, 2001 - 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
G-Man,

I’m interested in your comment about 120s for moto. If I remember correctly a few national riders use them on certain tracks (mounted on 18” wheels however). I run them exclusively, but there are no tracks around here so all I ride is off-road. As for weight, you should weigh the 739 Desert A/T I use for rocky courses. Very heavy.

But the larger tires do affect handling, and maybe explains why I like a bit more sag (105) on my bike. They may make brake slides harder, and I was told once they hurt straight line stability a little bit.

Yes the taller tire does effect handling and can induce headshake if you do not compensate for it with more sag or lowering the fork tubes. What's really funny is people will spend big $$ on carbon fiber parts and titanium exhaust and put on a tire that weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs more!

I won't make that mistake again.

------------------
Moto to Live
Live to Moto

http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

G-Man

• Hick

Posted October 24, 2001 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Tuner, I’ve always wondered about that. I did see the yellow sticker and thought it was mislabeled or something.

Now I know. But I’ve never seen a 140 Michelin, I’d like to try one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.