450 crankcase halves interchangable?

4 replies to this topic
  • Bigdong

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I finally managed to get a hold of a crankcase to repair my currrent broken one but there seems to be some mixed opinions on weather or not i have to change both halves or if i can just change the left hand case?

Anyone have any ideas? Also since you cant seem to get yamabond anymore what does everyone use? just any old instant gasket for center cases?

thx

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2012 - 04:03 PM

The fact is that Yamaha line bores the cases in pairs, so they're sold in pairs, and the only ones that can be guaranteed bored straight, one side to the other, are the original two parts. That said, Yamaha's production variations are very small, and *usually*, the variance in a mismatched pair should be within the tolerances of the bearings.

Permatex Ultra Grey High Torque silicone does a good job. At auto parts stores.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigdong

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:31 AM

The fact is that Yamaha line bores the cases in pairs, so they're sold in pairs, and the only ones that can be guaranteed bored straight, one side to the other, are the original two parts. That said, Yamaha's production variations are very small, and *usually*, the variance in a mismatched pair should be within the tolerances of the bearings.

Permatex Ultra Grey High Torque silicone does a good job. At auto parts stores.

Thx for the advice, I think im just going to go ahead and change the one side then. My only other problem atm is trying to find ultra grey in the uk, I can get ultra black .Will this do just as good a job or should i go for hondabond?

thx

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hondabond is essentially the same stuff as Yamabond.

• 94cr rider

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:13 AM

http://www.rockymoun...amabond-4-3-oz.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.