Anybody ever used Fastheads for rebuilds?

5 replies to this topic
  • coop63

Posted November 24, 2012 - 07:48 AM

They seem to have the most advanced equipment. But its only as good as the operator.
http://www.fastheads.com

• marv02

Posted November 24, 2012 - 09:46 AM

I would pull the head apart see what it needs buy a set of valves and springs if needed of you choice.

I took a look at my seats when I had my head apart all we end up doing is lapping the vavles and seat and called it good.

Made a Valve spring compreser tool out a 1/2 OD tube about 1.5 long cut he side out to reach in to reinstall the valve lock duing reassembly and used a large C Clamp to compress the spings.

Tube I had laying around Free cutting the sides out the tube 10 mintues it look like a a big I top and bottom go all the way around cut the side out if look at it from the side looks like a letter I, C-Clamp I alreday had.

Lapping tool $4.00 Pep Boys Lapping compound $3.00.

BUY new Valve seals $3 or $4 bucks a piece.

You can look up how to lap your valves on U Tube.

I had my head apart to have it ported I was going to put new Valves and springs in it but did not need them.

To remove the valve retainers put the tube on the springs seats the C Clamp on the other side of the tube the side of the C Clamp on the vales it self and twist the T handle to compress the springs turn the head up side down and tap the C Clamp the retainers should just fall out release pressure off the C Clamp and the vavle side out keep track on 2 Valve seats 1 Springs and 2 Valve retains from each valve put them in a zip lock bag and Mark with port they came out of so the go back in the same spot.

• marv02

Posted November 24, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Ron Hamp was going to charge me $1000.00 for a full port job I think fastheads is on the high side.

I had a guy I work with pull some strings and got my done free by one of our old racing buddies and yes he knows what he doing.

There a lot of us old time farts still around that help each other out that know what we are doing so ask around as they or walk you though doing the work you guy can recall the old glory days long gone and be suprized how many old races you all knew and where they are now I found about 20 old friends this way networking.

Most of us are fat and old now with kids and families to look after but still like to go riding when we can find time to do so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coop63

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I would pull the head apart see what it needs buy a set of valves and springs if needed of you choice.

I took a look at my seats when I had my head apart all we end up doing is lapping the vavles and seat and called it good.

Made a Valve spring compreser tool out a 1/2 OD tube about 1.5 long cut he side out to reach in to reinstall the valve lock duing reassembly and used a large C Clamp to compress the spings.

Tube I had laying around Free cutting the sides out the tube 10 mintues it look like a a big I top and bottom go all the way around cut the side out if look at it from the side looks like a letter I, C-Clamp I alreday had.

BUY new Valve seals $3 or $4 bucks a piece.

You can look up how to lap your valves on U Tube.

I had my head apart to have it ported I was going to put new Valves and springs in it but did not need them.

To remove the valve retainers put the tube on the springs seats the C Clamp on the other side of the tube the side of the C Clamp on the vales it self and twist the T handle to compress the springs turn the head up side down and tap the C Clamp the retainers should just fall out release pressure off the C Clamp and the vavle side out keep track on 2 Valve seats 1 Springs and 2 Valve retains from each valve put them in a zip lock bag and Mark with port they came out of so the go back in the same spot.

Valves are coated titanium, not lapping them. Already have the valves out, with a diy spring compressor as well. Although Tusk makes one for about $40. I am looking to have the most durable least maintenance head possible. Lap the valves (titanium) and they will begin to wear quickly. Also installing a 13.5:1 HC piston, so strength up top would be desirable.

• marv02

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Why dont you go Stainless Steel Valves.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2012 - 04:06 PM

NEVER ever lap titanium valves. Ever. Period.

http://www.wiseco.co...alveInstall.pdf

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.