blacktop wr450 in washington state

12 replies to this topic
  • mxrider227

Posted November 15, 2003 - 10:58 AM

does anyone know if a wr450 can be lisenced for the street in washington state?

• Lowedog

Posted November 15, 2003 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image

Check your PM's :)

Lowedog

• bigdrtrdr

Posted November 16, 2003 - 08:51 AM

We had about 4 street legal WRs on the PNW TT ride.
All had different stories about how they came to be.
Bottom line is, You need to buck the system, find some po dunk licesing joint and bribe them is the best way.
Mine actually came from the dealer with a plate!
Good luck,
Eric

• Gadsen

Posted November 16, 2003 - 09:55 AM

does anyone know if a wr450 can be lisenced for the street in washington state?

Technically, no! The WSP quit doing "conversions" mid 2000 some time. If your title have "ORV" in the "use class" section, they wont convert it, period! Even if you hang all the correct gear on it. I do have a WA plated 01 WR426, there is a way around it, but its tricky. I did it! Mine is now "USE CLASS" as a G/CYC" or gasoline cycle. But a word of caution, just deciding not to by road tabs and instead, just buying ORV tags will change your bike back to ORV status! Then it will need to be inspected and if the VIN comes up as "off road", your out of luck. My WR came up after they typed the VIN as "off road competition/enduro". I dont want to go too much into details, some bored lawmaker may be snooping in here and try to close all loopholes. People build kit cars and make them road legal. I dont see any reason why a motorcycle cant be made road legal as long as it has all the equipment to comply with the roads. The fact it "was" off road at oen time isnt good enough. I did write my congress critters on this too.

PM me if you need more details.

• Gadsen

Posted November 16, 2003 - 10:00 AM

We had about 4 street legal WRs on the PNW TT ride.
All had different stories about how they came to be.
Bottom line is, You need to buck the system, find some po dunk licesing joint and bribe them is the best way.
Mine actually came from the dealer with a plate!
Good luck,
Eric

How goes it Eric? I was just wondering here. A motorcycle will come with a "certificate of origin" when its new, this is used to title it when it sold. When a dealer sells it, why cant they hang all the gear to make it DOT legal and when sending in the certificate of origin, can they just convert it to G/CYC then? :) Then, if the buyer choses, can remove some gear, install more aggresive tires etc?

• Dez113

Posted November 16, 2003 - 08:14 PM

find a relative in a state like AZ that has VERY liberal conversion laws. then once you have the street title transfer to your state.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigdrtrdr

Posted November 17, 2003 - 05:09 PM

Yo TECH, whats up?
Cycle Barn had about 5 converted XR400s brand new with the full on Baja Designs dual sport kits. Not one of them ever got a plate. I think this was in 2000 or so.
I have seen the computer screen at the Licensing joints and all they have to do is change the vehical description from ORV to G/CYC. It is only a few key strokes. I got a plate for my wifes 82 XR250r this way. you just have to find someone willing to go out on a limb for you. $$$$$$$ talks
bullshit walks.
Later,
Eric

• Gadsen

Posted November 17, 2003 - 09:42 PM

Eric, this is basically what I did. When they typed in my VIN, it came up automatically as off road (ORV) and the lady just changed it for me. But it went through about 3 people, all kept asking if it was a street legal, I told them it was a "dual sport", the guy sais: Oh, you mean Enduro, I said, yeah, exactly. We all know Enduros used to be road legal. Enduros of today are not road legal. After that, it was a snap, the ID from the VIN came up as "Off Road/Enduro", so the rest was a snap. Maybe some licesne agency in Eastern Washington with some little sub agent mom and pops DOL/GAS/Grocery/Post Office setup. This state has gotten real shitty about this since 2000! :)

• BIGDADDY450

Posted November 18, 2003 - 06:36 PM

Hows it going guys, i've tried 4 different agencies and they all told me no !!!! I've even tried the $$$$ thing and it still was no. I told them all they had to do was to change it with a couple strokes of the keys,with no luck !
if you guys know of a better one to try at let me know. I was thinking about getting one of those plates out of a cereal box and just running that :)

• WR450F_RDR

Posted November 19, 2003 - 01:12 PM

maybe you could do what some people in Washington do with there cars and register them in Oregon :).All it took was $10.00 and reregistering my WR450F to get plates make it street legal here.

• Balcs

Posted November 19, 2003 - 09:40 PM

I bought mine in Canada and it was easy to get it street licenced when I converted it over. Where are you located?

• Gadsen

Posted November 20, 2003 - 08:56 PM

I was thinking about getting one of those plates out of a cereal box and just running that :D

Dont do that, the fine for using a bootlegged plate (one from another street bike)is way greater than no plate at all. I mean, WAY greater. :)

• BIGDADDY450

Posted November 22, 2003 - 10:18 AM

Hey Tech, Its just a joke I do follow the laws
(from time to time :D ) some day it wont be a problem getting a plate again in this state,they can only justify their jobs for so long and then it will all catch up to them. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.