'07 YZ250 woods setup

8 replies to this topic
  • mmmm waffles

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi, I am new to the 2 stroke game, I have been riding my '09 KX450F in the woods this past year and it is just too big and bulky so I bought this yz250 to make myself a nice woods bike. My thing is what are the necessities to making this bike a better bike in the woods, giving it a little more low/mid range. What tires do you all like? I want something with good grip and half way decent wear, I had Geomax 51's on my 450mx bike and it seems like they would rip to shreds in no time which being in the woods with rocks and roots would get destroyed even more. I know everyone has their likes and dislikes Im just curious to what you all think.

• jamracing

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

THere are about 2342565 posts for setting up the YZ250 for the woods...search function :)

• jer500

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

try keeping it simple get a set of hand guards, a skid plate, mabye some rad braces stuff that has function not good looks, try it with the flywheel weight and see where your at mabye get the suspension revalved, i use pirelli tires scorpion up front and mt 16 rear and im shocked how long they lasted would last even longer if i didnt hit pavment to connect trails. stock pipe and pc shorty seem to work well on my bike, get your yz jetted properly is another key thing

• mmmm waffles

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Sorry jamracing im semi forum retarded, I tried searching and it says there was nothing found?

I'm trying to keep it semi simple for now. I was thinking of getting a over sized tank, bark busters, pipe guard, and a little unsure what else I might need. Who makes a tough half decent hand guard? It has fresh shock and forks but its all setup for 200lb mx and im 180 :/ Im going to see how it plays out but im afraid it will be a bit too stiff. It has fmf fatty pipe and shorty silencer on it right now. What about a stabilizer, is that a big game changer?

• ron_m

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

The very first thing I would do is get the jetting dialed in. Second, I would get the suspension set up for woods riding, your weight and skill level. I also think a good front tire such as the Bridgestone M403 helps a lot. And of course protective parts such as hand guards, skid plate, etc.

Enjoy the '07 YZ250. They are very good, reliable bikes. :thumbsup:

• RiderX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Bumping the timing back 2 degrees made a big difference for me. More low end and smoother power.

See the timing thread:

http://www.thumperta...-timing-thread/

• jer500

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

if you are llookin to spend a few bucks i had eric gorr bore and port mine to a 265 mo betta porting the thing is awesome in the woods with a gytr flywheel weight, handguards cycras triple clamp mounts are good or i run enduro engineering evoloutions with the old style shield just be sure to loctite the bolt that goes to guard and bar mount

• Sierra_rider

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I mostly echo what everyone else said. IMO the mx51's suck, the 71's do last longer but aren't best choice for softer terrain. My favorite rear knobby is the IRC M5B. Long lasting and excellent traction.

• CaveMike

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

First thing to do be suspension. It be most important thing. Second be jetting. For guards, CaveMike like stuff from utah cyclesport. Customer service be excellent there. If you get chance, eric gorr porting can make bike very smooth. Big bore kit not necessary. Yz also seem do well with timing retarded, and flywheel weight.
Tires going last you considerably longer on 250 2stroke than 450 4stroke. CaveMike like Maxxis IT and or rear trials tire.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 250 Front End Woes... by aled

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

125cc 2stroke for new bike? by nickboc333

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Bottom End by wyattedwards250

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ125 Governer Running Position by satiagraha

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.