Light in dashboard!

22 replies to this topic
  • Serb

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hello everyone :ride: I'm new on this forum. I didn't see reports of this problem. I was looking for, but unfortunately I have not found. I must open new topic in the hope that someone will help me.I bought a second-hand Yamaha WR450F 2007th In excellent condition, engine has 10.000km and ridden only in the SM. My problem is that the blue light on instrumental panel (dashboard) doesn't work. :banghead: I called the Yamaha dealer in Serbia and they told me that the lamp can not be replaced, but I must buy whole new dashboard to be replaced which is not cheap. Price is 450e. If anyone can help me get rid of it. I drive at night and I'd like to see km, hours etc etc. Are there small LEDs, if anyone has a scheme for the dashboard I would be very grateful to him. Respect to all and thank you for your response :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And sorry, I don't know how to put the picture to show you what I thinking about

• Taxgod4u

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:48 AM

this may not help, but first confirm that there is power getting to that pin on the connector. It could be as simple as a loose wire or corroded pin in the molex plug. Try jumbing 12 volts to each pin on the speedo connector one at a time and check for success each time. As for light bulbs. My guess is that they are surface mounted leds and probably not replaceable.

• Serb

Posted November 19, 2012 - 10:09 AM

this may not help, but first confirm that there is power getting to that pin on the connector. It could be as simple as a loose wire or corroded pin in the molex plug. Try jumbing 12 volts to each pin on the speedo connector one at a time and check for success each time. As for light bulbs. My guess is that they are surface mounted leds and probably not replaceable.

What's mean jumbing? We checked and there is electricity because dashboard works and shows me the time, km / h and mileage. But there were no lights

• Serb

Posted November 19, 2012 - 10:22 AM

Ok, I figured out what it means jumbing :)

• Taxgod4u

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:11 PM

sorry, I have fat fingers, it is supposed to be "jumping". run a wire from the red/hot/plus side of the battery to each pin. Leave the negative/black/ground wire connected. Just a quick way to eliminate the easyier possbile issues first. I have cured many automotive issues in the past just by cleaning plug contacts of dirt, grime, and corrosion.

• Serb

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thank's man. I hope that will helps ;)

• Serb

Posted November 19, 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm thinking. If I go with the 12v from pin to pin I think it will catch fire
:unsure: :confused:

• Taxgod4u

Posted November 19, 2012 - 06:16 PM

it shouldn't flame up, but keep a beer handy to put it out, and if it does blow, it was broken anyway...

you can take the 12v supply from your headlight wire, it is certainly fused.

just in case, here is a used one for 150USD on the american ebay
http://www.ebay.com/...8b63da1&vxp=mtr

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm thinking. If I go with the 12v from pin to pin I think it will catch fire
:unsure: :confused:

I doubt it will catch fire, but that is a good way to kill it completely.

You don't just go throwing voltage randomly into a device...

• Taxgod4u

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I doubt it will catch fire, but that is a good way to kill it completely.

You don't just go throwing voltage randomly into a device...

Okay.... :thumbsup: You're the expert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:21 PM

blue light?? pics???

• Bandit9

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Okay.... :thumbsup: You're the expert.

I do it all the time. Never blew up anything, nor even tripped the fuse.

Serb, are you sure the background light can't be turned on or off? You RTFM yet on the functions of it in manual? I'm not sure, but it's worth the hour it will take (LOL) before buying new one. That computer has more functions than it needs IMO, and lacks important ones, like an Hour and Tach meter. Mine seems to stay on all the time, but it might able to be turned on or off manualy.

• Serb

Posted November 20, 2012 - 01:47 AM

blue light?? pics???

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/2007wr450fdash.jpg/
Here is the pic

• William1

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:38 AM

The light is on all the time the engine is switched on. If your light is out, something internal failed. It could be a bad solder joint, failed bulb/LED or ??? To repair, you need to take the unit apart. You may not be able to get it back together. You might want to instead consider a Trail Tech unit or an Acewell (from Baja Designs) unit.

• n16ht5

Posted November 20, 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'd try dissasembling it. run a wire direct to the led or something? make sure you don't overdrive it, it might not take 12v

• Serb

Posted November 20, 2012 - 03:11 PM

The light is on all the time the engine is switched on. If your light is out, something internal failed. It could be a bad solder joint, failed bulb/LED or ??? To repair, you need to take the unit apart. You may not be able to get it back together. You might want to instead consider a Trail Tech unit or an Acewell (from Baja Designs) unit.

Maybe this is a stupid question but ... :lol: On my display is 10.000km. If I remove it and install a trail tech will go on to work from 0km right? Or will it show the same mileage that I had on origigi display??? I don't no to much about aftermarket electrical parts... :banghead:

• Serb

Posted November 20, 2012 - 03:17 PM

I must take to the electrician friend who has a store that repairs mobile phones. He has a professional microscope, a small soldering iron and led's for phones and maybe he something do. If not, I'l buy tech trail on eBay and kill my self after that... People my advice: Don't buy second hand motorcycle :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

• William1

Posted November 20, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Your friend might be just the guy you need.

Do not blame it on having bought a used bike. Things break. Everything is yearning to turn back into dirt and rocks from the moment it is built.

• Serb

Posted November 21, 2012 - 03:15 AM

Thank you all for any help :worthy: I hope that my friends will succeed. Reporting what happened :thumbsup:

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted November 22, 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'd try dissasembling it. run a wire direct to the led or something? make sure you don't overdrive it, it might not take 12v

LED will not handle 12v directly. At minimum you can blow the LED, and you could backfeed 12v into
the circuit and blow other components.

I do it all the time. Never blew up anything, nor even tripped the fuse.

Yep... great technique to ensure it is completely broken.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.