type of riding for my XR-650L

5 replies to this topic
  • bigmike61

Posted November 14, 2003 - 06:02 PM

I bought a 95' XR-650L about 6 months ago. I live in the L.A. area and ride about 40 miles to work. It is all freeway, except about 5 miles to get to freeway. I'm wondering how my bike is going to do with the miles? I have already put about 5000 miles on it in 6 months. Is there anything I can do to make my bike last? It does great on the road and even better in the desert. Aside from tires wearing out quick and having to change the oil every 2000 miles, it seems to be doing just fine. Im wondering if anyone has any experiance or tips for a "rookie red rider"? :)

• BuddyK

Posted November 14, 2003 - 07:42 PM

The only thing you can do to minimize wear would be to gear it up a little taller for the street. Hwy use causes very little wear & tear compared to trail riding. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Dual_Dog

Posted November 14, 2003 - 07:54 PM

Don't lug it, over-rev it or baby it. Don't run it at extremely high rpms for long periods and vary your speeds. You can hear and feel what the bike is doing so pay attention. If you do extended freeway riding you might want to get an external oil cooler as well.

Always keep the chain lubed and properly tensioned. Check and adjust the valves at the recommended intervals. Grease the swing arm Zerks and check your spokes. Keep an eye on the oil level. If it starts to burn oil, the engine is getting tired and worn, or it can be a sign of other mechanical problems.

Long distance commutes aren't really the best for these big singles, but Hondas are bullet-prrof and built to last. So take care of it and you should be able to put over 20K miles without a rebuild.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoChris521

Posted November 15, 2003 - 06:40 AM

I'd be changing the oil way more often than 2000 miles if you want the motor to last ! :)

• bigmike61

Posted November 15, 2003 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. From what I have seen so far the bike is real tough. :)

• MLB

Posted November 15, 2003 - 01:26 PM

I'd be changing the oil way more often than 2000 miles if you want the motor to last ! :)

2000 highway miles is EASY miles compared to thrashing off road. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.