07 WRF... retard cam, hotcam, or yz450f cam?

68 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 29, 2013 - 05:13 AM

At this time I don't think I'm even gonna mess with springs or anything. Being sprung for a 180lb rider but a bike that is 25lbs lighter, I'm thinking the springs might be about right for a 205lb rider. Close enough for now.

The one thing that is a concern is the plastic ics free piston. I've heard they are a weak spot. There's some billet ones out there that I might get and have installs when I do a oil change.

I understood that there is no plastic in the YZ forks past 2005.

• KennyMc

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:01 AM

I understood that there is no plastic in the YZ forks past 2005.

Hmmm, I'll have to check into that. A friend who rides a newer Kawi 450 which share the same forks said he shattered one of his plastic ones so be went to the billet ones. I'll let you know what I find out.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hmmm, I'll have to check into that. A friend who rides a newer Kawi 450 which share the same forks said he shattered one of his plastic ones so be went to the billet ones. I'll let you know what I find out.

No, you are right. KYB's have plastic stock:

559797_356807997688943_1387982696_n.jpg

Steve at Steric Racing told me not to bother with the billet stuff cause I'm not getting big air or doing big 8' ledge drops, and the plastic will probably outlast the bike.

Edited by Krannie, August 29, 2013 - 08:15 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:38 AM

No, you are right. KYB's have plastic stock:

559797_356807997688943_1387982696_n.jpg

Steve at Steric Racing told me not to bother with the billet stuff cause I'm not getting big air or doing big 8' ledge drops, and the plastic will probably outlast the bike.

Cool, thanks.  I don't either but I am pretty hard on mine in the desert as I go through the stroke quit a bit.  That was the issue I was having with the WR forks, Always bottoming out on big "G" outs  even after 3 attemps by RG3 to adjust the valving.  I like high speed in the desert and the occasional "oh shit" happends quit a bit.  That and I am going to start racing in D37.

Also, since I bought them off of ebay, don't know what stress they were put under before.  They may look good but I don't know if you can tell what kind of shape they are actually in.  Food for thought.

Edited by kenshaw720, August 29, 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 29, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Cool, thanks.  I don't either but I am pretty hard on mine in the desert as I go through the stroke quit a bit.  That was the issue I was having with the WR forks, Always bottoming out on big "G" outs  even after 3 attemps by RG3 to adjust the valving.  I like high speed in the desert and the occasional "oh shit" happends quit a bit.  That and I am going to start racing in D37.

Also, since I bought them off of ebay, don't know what stress they were put under before.  They may look good but I don't know if you can tell what kind of shape they are actually in.  Food for thought.

Yeah, my set is pretty damn stout. Easily as stout as the Showa on the X and R, but they have so much more internal adjust-ability, that they need a 'smart' shim-shifter to get the most out of them.

• still2smokin

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Wow that's a lot of good info about switching to YZ suspension.  

Who woulda thought to look for it a cam thread ?

• KennyMc

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Wow that's a lot of good info about switching to YZ suspension.
Who woulda thought to look for it a cam thread ?

. Edit - kinda sneaky that way.

Edited by kenshaw720, August 30, 2013 - 10:29 PM.

• still2smokin

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Easy Killer..... I was serious about the good info and was trying to be funny about it being in a cam thread .

Edited by still2smokin, August 30, 2013 - 10:33 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Easy killer..... I was serious about the good info and was trying to be funny about it being in a cam thread .

:-). Yeah, kinda went over overboard. Prolly cause your right, while it might be good info, should be somewhere else. Funny sarcasm is hard to read sometimes. My bad.

Edited by kenshaw720, August 30, 2013 - 10:26 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.