Impeller Removal (how to?)

4 replies to this topic
  • robls

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:27 AM

I'm replacing waterpump seals, gaskets, and so on. Thought this would be an easy job. Pulled the water pump cover and couldn't get the impeller out (just spins). Checked out at few forums on this and got two different answers. 1) have to drain oil and pull the whole engine cover in order to be able to hold wrench on backside of impeller shaft. 2) just apply back pressure on kick start and turn impeller.

Obviously, would like the easiest route, but don't want to break anything. Any other opions on which way to go. Can I just use the kickstart to hold back pressure while I turn the impeller off or do I have to remove the engine cover?

• MANIAC998

Posted November 18, 2012 - 04:37 AM

I've never used the kickstart trick, so I can't help you with that. Pulling the cover off isn't hard to do at all, so that's how I do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:54 AM

If you don't want to drain the oil, and with it holding a whole quart I can't see why you wouldn't just dump it, you can lay the bike on its side and remove the cover then.

Shouldn't loose any oil (or much) that way.

• YZ450Hombre

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:36 AM

As far as the impeller goes a 1/2" impact did the trick for me.

Edited by WR450hombre, November 18, 2012 - 07:40 AM.

• ewr2004

Posted November 18, 2012 - 01:23 PM

I've used two techniques (successfully) to remove the impellor:

1) Back pressure on the kick start
2) Put the trans into 3rd or 4th gear

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.