2001 426 hard starting & possible oil overfill

3 replies to this topic
  • Dirtysnow

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm trying to get a friends 426 running for him. Last I heard his nephew overfilled the oil to where it was spraying the excess out of the breather tube from the cam cover.

Fast forward to present time and it will only start with the hot start plunger activated. It bogs and dies if I try to give it any throttle or turn the hot start off. I'm also getting some smoke out of the exhaust that smells like oil burning. After bringing the oil level back down to the normal range it was a little easier to start.

After some thought I decided to pull the head and cylinder. Everything looks factory and is still in very good shape for a 2001. The valve seals don't feel very snug at all around the valve stems. At least no where near as snug as the valve seals on a full size engine. After I pulled the valve keepers the valves slid right out with very little force. Are the seals the culprit??? Should I feel even a little resistance when sliding the vales up and down???

Edited by Dirtysnow, November 15, 2012 - 07:50 PM.

• Brit7732

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:56 AM

If it will only start with the hot start pulled, you have a carb issue. Pull the carb and give it a complete and thourough cleaning.
If the valves fall out the head, the valve seals probably just need replacing, this could also be the cause of the oil burning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtysnow

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:10 PM

What part of the carb should I focus on if it requires the hot start all the time? The hot start makes it lean, so does that mean its getting too much fuel?

• Brit7732

Posted November 20, 2012 - 11:26 AM

What part of the carb should I focus on if it requires the hot start all the time? The hot start makes it lean, so does that mean its getting too much fuel?

Check the float height and needle valve seat.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.