Skid plate gap fix on 07-11?

13 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted November 15, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Anyone come up with a slick rick karate kick solution for the huge gap b/t skid plate and frame/engine?

Pics?

Any type of foam that won't disintergrate after 2 rides?

• miweber929

Posted November 16, 2012 - 04:50 AM

Google search skid plate foam. Lots of places sell it, even try eBay.

• Bandit9

Posted November 16, 2012 - 05:45 AM

Does that stuff hold up? I've seen it, just was wondering if it holds up or we might have found a better material from a hardware store or something.

• n16ht5

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:52 PM

I don't understand. pics??? what gap? I don't have a gap...

Edited by n16ht5, November 17, 2012 - 09:52 PM.

• Bandit9

Posted November 18, 2012 - 04:52 AM

This gap is about 15mm wide. I haven't had it in the mud yet, since it's only rained 3 times since July, but I've heard it's a mud catcher.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• miweber929

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:50 AM

Skid plate foam holds up fine as its what its designed for, but will eventually break down and need replacement after a few seasons.

Anything hardware store wouldn't be able to handle the engine heat and repeated washings. The actual stuff is cheap and works, no reason to go elsewhere in my book.

• Bandit9

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:25 AM

I guess I was thinking of a different material all together. Like a soft rubber or maybe something like the TM Designs material they use for the chain sliders/buffers.

I just see the foam still letting a lot of crap get in there (sand) and having to remove the skid plate all the time to clean it out. I would prefer to block it off entirely.

Is air flow in this area a critical thing?

I will try to come up with something. Looks like I could rivet a piece of rubber/plastic to the top area of the skid plate pretty easily and it would look clean.

I'm brainstorming and coming up with a 1/2" dia black hose about 6" long or the width b/t the two frame rails, riveted through the front of the top of the skid plate into the hose, following the contour of the top of the skid plate. You would only see the top of the hose, and since the skid plate is black, it should blend in pretty good. This way I still get plenty air flow and I can spray water in there to flush out the crap during cleaning.

Questions, comments, criticisms????

Edited by Bandit9, November 18, 2012 - 06:26 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Oh that gap..

I shoved a spare inner tube in there
Posted Image

• Bandit9

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:52 AM

This a better shot.

Found some leftover pipe foam insulation wrap I'm gonna play with before I go to Autozone.

Yeah, thick inner tube material could be used too, I have a few of those laying around and will play with that too.

Looks like I can just zip tie it to the frame rails instead of rivets.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Bandit9, November 18, 2012 - 06:54 AM.

• Bandit9

Posted November 19, 2012 - 03:00 PM

Ok, I figured out a fix. I was over thinking it a bit. Since my particular skid plate is the tough plastic type, it was flexible enough for me to just drill two small holes and Zip tie it to the frame. Cheap and easy, just how I like it!

For those of you with aluminum plates, I bought a few sizes of hose and was able to wedge one of them across the top and down the sides pretty good that sealed off the gap completely. Could simply drill a few holes in the plate and use rivets or Zip ties to secure the hose to the plate. This looked pretty good in my mock up, before I realized I could just bend my plastic skid plate to seal off the gap.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Bandit9, November 19, 2012 - 03:02 PM.

• n16ht5

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:26 PM

wierd. I don't have a gap there..

I wouldn't trust a plastic skid plate at all.. I have smashed mine into rocks so many times.. There are loads of gashes into the aluminum to show that if it wasn't there or was plastic I would have big gaping holes in my side covers or crankcase!

this is when everything looked new and shiny last spring

Posted Image

Edited by n16ht5, November 19, 2012 - 08:26 PM.

• Bandit9

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Wow, that is the only skid plate I've seen made like that for the 07-11 WR. What kind is it?

I felt the same about the poly/plastic stuff, and my aluminum plates have been pretty gouged up too, but from gliding over stuff and not direct impacts. I have never had a direct impact to that area before. I ride rocks a few times a year these days, so figured I would go with the poly. Had a Hyde one on my YZ250 and it was fine.

Of course, if I lived back in WA again, I would running metal. I lived in Olympia in 96-98. Loved it. Didn't want to leave, but wife missed her family so we came back home to South La.

• KennyMc

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:56 PM

wierd. I don't have a gap there..

I wouldn't trust a plastic skid plate at all.. I have smashed mine into rocks so many times.. There are loads of gashes into the aluminum to show that if it wasn't there or was plastic I would have big gaping holes in my side covers or crankcase!

this is when everything looked new and shiny last spring

Posted Image

You seem to be missing a rear brake :confused:

• n16ht5

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:03 AM

You seem to be missing a rear brake :confused:

LHRB :)

skid is a ricochet

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.