2003 yz450 Trouble starting after kick start assembly replacement

No replies to this topic
  • silver_x_samurai

Posted November 15, 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm having trouble with my 2003 yz450. A few months ago I went to kick start the bike and I had the kick start lever kick back. The bike didn't start and after the kick back the lever felt like it was stuck. I pulled the crank case off and found that the kick idle gear and gear on the kick axel assembly had both broken a few teeth. I replced both gears put everything back together. The bike started up after a few kicks, ran for a few minutes and then died. After a lot of kicking I have got the bike started a total of three times all with the same result, After a few minutes it dies. I've cleaned the carb but have not checked the valves.

A few side notes: after a couple of minutes trying to get the bike started I'll let it sit for a minute of two. when I go to kick again the kick start lever is very hard to kick. after a few tries it becomes easier. I have had a couple of individual soft pops out of the exhaust after kicking for a while.
also, when filling the bike back up with oil I added 1.2L. I realized my mistake only after I ran the bike for a few minutes at which point I drained the excess oil. Could I have created and issue by running the bike with too much oil?

Any help is much appreciated!

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.