Is full Ohlins suspension really worth it over a quality revalve?

61 replies to this topic
  • VilleKTM

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:57 AM

I think you made the right choice moneywise. I always either bolted Öhlins stuff (i had an extra set of front forks originally and just threw in a cartridge kit in them) on my new bike and kept the untouched original susp. on side so when i sold the bike it had new,unused suspension on it. When i lost the interrest on the cartridge kit i had those same extra forks and somewhat stock,although with fancy valving etc., internals so i always had a set of pristine stock susp. on hand if something went wrong somewhere. Which it never did,suspensionwise .. :ride:

• jumpingjackflash

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:49 PM

I used to run revalves on my '13 450SXF.

I am very very happy with my FGRT front forks and TTX rear shock.

It's in a different league.

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 22, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Everyone that has ridden full Ohlins has that reaction.

I rode my '13 for the first time yesterday. Very nice bike but I hated the suspension. Before it broke in it felt okay but after that it was a limp noodle. The suspension would be traveling down from the previous bump when it needed to be moving up for the current bump.

A friend of mine rode it and said the track has way more bumps on my bike then on his set up bike.

• VilleKTM

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:52 AM

I used to run revalves on my '13 450SXF.

I am very very happy with my FGRT front forks and TTX rear shock.

It's in a different league.

Once again : TTX shock = as good as it gets - Cartr. kit = so-so. Haven´t ridden , for obvious reasons, with compl. TTX forks.

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Well I've got the Ohlins on and am planning on making a night practice tonight on a track I know well.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit another track that I know well that gets very rough.

It feels very plush, almost soft in my garage while bouncing up and down. which surprises me as it isn't even broken in yet. If it remains this soft while rarely bottoming, I'll be very happy.

I'll report back around Friday.

Posted Image

• dirtywardog

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:47 AM

oH man i've got a 2013 and I want this suspension set up, how much did it set you back? And thats a akro pipe? how is it i've got a full PC that I moved over from my 2012. I've also got the ride link on the back which helps alot too!

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 28, 2012 - 11:22 AM

I paid well less than $4K delivered. That included the proper spring rates for my weight installed and fantastic support from the vender, David @ Fast Bike Industries. He also had everything in stock and made some changes and shipped it all out in less than 24 hours.

The muffler is a Leo Vince. Looks and performs like the Akra for about $155. I pulled it directly off my '08 250SX and just bolted it right on.

Ohlins told me to skip on the link w/ their shock. David did lower the rear Ohlins to the American specs, 4mm lower at the rear wheel I think. Also no charge.

• zanesklar175

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:25 PM

im considering buying these for my 450 factory edition this week how did they end up working?

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:46 PM

My first ride on it with the Ohlins will be tomorrow.

• YHGEORGE

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:28 PM

My first ride on it with the Ohlins will be tomorrow.

Good luck. I have $2500 plus with four tuners and very poor suspension. It works in smooth conditions, bad everywhere else. I think you made the best choice. Wish I would have.

• smv ryder

Posted November 28, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hey PSD_ Sun
Congrats on a sick set up. Hope one day to spend the coin on a fine hot rod like you did.
Is this your last hot rod?
Posted Image

• Monk

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hey PSD_ Sun
Congrats on a sick set up. Hope one day to spend the coin on a fine hot rod like you did.
Is this your last hot rod?
Posted Image

Nice find!

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 29, 2012 - 06:58 AM

LOL. Yes that is me.

For the record I really don't look anything like that. I have no potbelly for one thing. The photographer had me tuck in my shirt, remove my sunglasses, and stand w/ a very bright sun hitting my face. That's my excuse anyways.

In the past I have spent $1000s on revalves and shipping back and forth for marginal results. Well today I sold my stock rear shock for $400 putting my total investment in the Ohlins shock at about $500. Considerably less than I would have spent revalving the OEM shock.

I haven't even ridden on the Ohlins yet and mentally I'm permanently done w/ OEM suspension. Since I intend to keep this bike for years, I'd rather just get some of my money back and not have to store the OEM stuff for years.

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:00 AM

Notice that the '08 bike in the article is in the background of this photo.

Posted Image

• dirtjumpordie

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'd rather spend the money pounding laps. That's what will make you faster..

• VilleKTM

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:14 AM

LOL. Yes that is me.

For the record I really don't look anything like that. I have no potbelly for one thing. The photographer had me tuck in my shirt, remove my sunglasses, and stand w/ a very bright sun hitting my face. That's my excuse anyways.

In the past I have spent $1000s on revalves and shipping back and forth for marginal results. Well today I sold my stock rear shock for $400 putting my total investment in the Ohlins shock at about $500. Considerably less than I would have spent revalving the OEM shock.

I haven't even ridden on the Ohlins yet and mentally I'm permanently done w/ OEM suspension. Since I intend to keep this bike for years, I'd rather just get some of my money back and not have to store the OEM stuff for years.

Well - i can tell you won´t be disappointed in the shock. You know my take on the cartridge kit but like said i haven´t ridden those complete TTX forks so no word on them I hope they´re better than the kit -hopefully in the leaque with the shock- and if so you have really fine suspension from now on.
P.S Ain´t the bright sun a bitch ..

• VilleKTM

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Nothing wrong in pounding laps but once the chassie/suspension works fine you´ll be confident in stepping it up a notch. A good suspension = a confidence booster with no equal.

Edited by VilleKTM, November 29, 2012 - 07:16 AM.

• PSD_Sun

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I pound as many laps as a family guy can reasonably do. At 41 years old now, and an injury list that would make Evel Knievel blush, I'm only getting slower, not faster. Hopefully the Ohlins will reduce that trend but none of that changes the fact that I'll enjoy MX at whatever speed I can go.

And frankly, the cost of the Ohlins is not even 1% of my income this year, so I treated myself which is something I rarely do. I've desired the stuff for 25 years (as a roadracer) so it was great to finally be in a position to purchase it. And hopefully I really was able to buy myself a couple of seconds per lap! I do feel that even though the suspension on the '13 was not dialed in like my '08, that the linkage offered such an advantage I was going faster on the '13 right away.

I've only ridden my '13 once and it was on stock suspension. Within 2-3 laps I was going fast enough to completely max out my bravery and skill level on that particular motorcycle. I'm certain I could have dropped another 2-4 seconds a lap on a '13 KXF as I've ridden them and know how I perform on them. I rode the 250SX as fast as I could but it was beginning to get way out of control in places. The track had very rough jump faces and the rear end had a mind of it's own. I hit a 4th gear pinned table top and the bike caught air before the lip and while still on the jump face and basically turned itself 90 degrees when the rear end deflected. All of the problems in my eyes stemmed from the OEM shock. Could I better rider have went faster? Well of course but that was my personal limit. When I ride more than 2x per month I end up going a lot faster but it just doesn't fit in to my busy lifestyle.

That's my justification Sir!

• norcal_hoss

Posted November 29, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Nice set up, ive had Ohlins on two bikes and once you get the base setting set, the csc valve does wonders on different tracks. I bought a 12' 300 XC and took the tank off, e start and swapped the 36mm stock carb for a 38mm sudco carb. What a huge difference the carb did, really broadened the power and I was able to ride it harder longer.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by norcal_hoss, November 29, 2012 - 10:10 AM.

• dirtjumpordie

Posted November 29, 2012 - 11:34 AM

I pound as many laps as a family guy can reasonably do. At 41 years old now, and an injury list that would make Evel Knievel blush, I'm only getting slower, not faster. Hopefully the Ohlins will reduce that trend but none of that changes the fact that I'll enjoy MX at whatever speed I can go.

And frankly, the cost of the Ohlins is not even 1% of my income this year, so I treated myself which is something I rarely do. I've desired the stuff for 25 years (as a roadracer) so it was great to finally be in a position to purchase it. And hopefully I really was able to buy myself a couple of seconds per lap! I do feel that even though the suspension on the '13 was not dialed in like my '08, that the linkage offered such an advantage I was going faster on the '13 right away.

I've only ridden my '13 once and it was on stock suspension. Within 2-3 laps I was going fast enough to completely max out my bravery and skill level on that particular motorcycle. I'm certain I could have dropped another 2-4 seconds a lap on a '13 KXF as I've ridden them and know how I perform on them. I rode the 250SX as fast as I could but it was beginning to get way out of control in places. The track had very rough jump faces and the rear end had a mind of it's own. I hit a 4th gear pinned table top and the bike caught air before the lip and while still on the jump face and basically turned itself 90 degrees when the rear end deflected. All of the problems in my eyes stemmed from the OEM shock. Could I better rider have went faster? Well of course but that was my personal limit. When I ride more than 2x per month I end up going a lot faster but it just doesn't fit in to my busy lifestyle.

That's my justification Sir!

Makes enough sense. especially if your riding as much as you can then its worth it as long as you can afford it. Its a good feeling to feel confident in your bike and have nice things! Im still in high school so I don't have that opportunity, but I have made a point to ride 12 times in the past 3 months (since I got my new-to-me 08 yz250), and yes, I will be riding in wisconsin on December 1st for the 13th time since school started back up after summer lol.

Edited by dirtjumpordie, November 29, 2012 - 11:43 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

250f maintenance and repair costs by champ1e

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  38 replies
Reviews

KTM 250 XCF-W 2014 by Trevor9

KTM 250 XCF-W 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Trevor9
  • On March 04, 2014
Forums
Photo

2015 KTM SX-F Updates by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

If you had to vote a 250f most reliable by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 KTM 450SXF MXA Test by edgeofred

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  31 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.