wont shift after crash

5 replies to this topic
  • High_Boost

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:12 PM

so I dumped my 98 yz400 at the track a week or so ago and I broke the clutch lever off.. I got the new lever and put it on tonight and the shifter can only find 1 gear, maybe second or third. It feels like it is operating correctly. It moves up and down and centers itself, but the bike rolls free except for in 1 spot.

I havent run it, I am afraid to start it now in case there is loose metal in there. I did start it after the crash but couldnt ride it do to the clutch lever (or so I thought), so I just pushed it back to the truck.

I wanted to see if there was something common I messed up and how much of a job it is to fix? I havent pulled anything apart to look yet.

I assume it would have been from the shifter hitting the ground. I am not exactly sure what happened in the crash other than I came down from a jump badly and lost control and ended up with the bike laying on the left side. It wasnt that bad of a crash, I was able to pick it up and walk it off the track.

thanks for any advice

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Because of the way the transmission works, it's often impossible to shift it without the engine running or without at least rolling it on the ground as you shift from one gear to the next. Might try that before you worry about worse stuff.

• High_Boost

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Gray - I took it for a test drive like you suggested and it would only go into 2 gears.
I pulled the shift shaft out and it was bent, but only the part the shifter bolts to.

I ordered one and installed it and it didnt help, so now I am wondering what else it could be?
Any ideas what I should check now, or do I have to pull the motor and split the case and look for broken gears?
I afraid it will be out of my league if that is the case.

I'm surprised a fairly small drop would screw the tranny up..
I can't be this first person to drop a yz on the left side, but I haven't found anything useful in my searches.

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kaw_04_250f

Posted December 18, 2012 - 03:50 AM

I had a similar problem with my son's KX250f when he cased a jump and jammed down on the gear shift lever. It would index through all the gears but would not engage 2nd gear. It ended up being a bent shift fork. Does your shifter lever move freely and index through the gears and only some engage?

• High_Boost

Posted December 18, 2012 - 06:36 AM

I had a similar problem with my son's KX250f when he cased a jump and jammed down on the gear shift lever. It would index through all the gears but would not engage 2nd gear. It ended up being a bent shift fork. Does your shifter lever move freely and index through the gears and only some engage?

yeah, exactly.. the shifter moves good, feels ok, just wont grab like 3 of the gears.. like they just arent there..
so if it the shift fork is bent, that means pulling the motor and splitting the case I assume?

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:22 AM

Could be a bent fork. Next step is to open up the right side and see if the shift cam can be rotated through its full range. If not, then that points to an internal problem such as a fork.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.