my 2 cents on the 450/426

6 replies to this topic
  • LOOPOUT

Posted October 21, 2001 - 06:22 PM

Took my 450 out to VP today with my buddy (raptor)who bought my old 426..

The 450 is a blast to ride.... But before i go on i will answer the "Is it faster ??" We drag raced the bikes 3 times 1st time 426 won , next the 450 won, 3rd time we were dead even threw 5th gear but this was done just for fun as you dont drag race in mx from a dead stop, but it gives a nice idea of the power call it a draw...so basically it comes down to the rider as motox is 80-90% rider. On the track my buddy on the 426 smoked me all day, then again i am a nov rider & he is a fast int... I passed some yam & ktm thumpers & some passed me...

On the track the bike is pretty nimble, excellent brakes & power that builds like a big electric motor yet rev's out nicely. The bike was real neutral jumping in the air also. The 450 is also super easy to start hot or cold, even in gear out on the track... but then again i had the drill down on my 426 also so the only real adv this might be is if you stall during a actual race or you want to win Practice HA!

Compression braking was much less on the 450 but there is still some... i wouldnt chop the gas on a jump face...

The clutch pull on the 450 is very light... i hope it stays that way!! shifting was good... same as the blue meanie...

I would say bone stock the 426 has better stock suspension, but the honda seems to be pretty close to it but where the yam is pretty balanced stock the honda seems to be stiffer up front & a bit softer out back.. once i set the sag & went the back was better yet kinda springy... but for my 1st day of riding on the bike its in the ballpark just needs some tweaking with the clickers ..

Hopefully the 450 will be as bullet proof as the 426... i dont think ( as of today) there is a more reliable 4stk or even 2stk out there right now than the 426, it served me well.

I would rate them like this
Suspension (stock)
450--- B+
426--- A
engine
450 --- A+
426 --- A+
brakes
450---- A+
426 ---- A
starting
450--- A+
426--- B --- until you know the drill...
weight
450 ---A
426--- B
Reliablity
450--- ???
426--- A+++

I think both the bikes are awesome... the only handicap i see for the blue team is needing to go on a diet & starting the bike which just takes a few practice rides... but who can blame yamaha for not doing this sooner they are selling every stroker they make!

Also i didnt compare to KTM because i have yet to ride one ... but i do have 2 yrs on the 426 ....

But basically it all boils down to rider preference (ktm,honda,yam) all make excellent thumpers!!!!

• Ramrod

Posted October 22, 2001 - 03:16 AM

I like your review of both bikes, you kept an open mind and remained unbiased.

Both bikes are good, in fact their all good, it's the rider and his preferences that make the difference!

• forloop

Posted October 22, 2001 - 05:35 AM

Nice review loopout. I do have one queston. How is the feeling from the aluminum frame? I know in the past the Honda's just beet me up after a couple of laps.

Which bike would be easier to ride a full moto?

Thanks,

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LOOPOUT

Posted October 22, 2001 - 05:47 AM

Well this is my first honda in 4.5 years..

I was at cycle ranch in floresville.. dont know if you have been there but its a long outdoor track...

I think i was riding better on the honda ( which surprised me for my 1st time out on it)... i rode longer motos per times out then i did on my 426... I can only think that this is because of the weight of the honda ... after a while i would get tired on the 426 when it got real choppy or whooped out & yesterday i was riding 2-3 more laps per time out than usual... my only real complaint seems to be the rear suspension... I am having trouble getting it dialed in.

• chopperman

Posted October 22, 2001 - 12:25 PM

Hey loop I am in Houston. I am assuming you are as well or the Houston area. I am on a YZ 426 for MX as well as I own a '00 520 EXC for the woods. I have located a CRF 450 and I am think of adding one to the collection. Problem is, how are the ergo's for the bigger guys? I am 6'1" and about 210 with out gear, I also have long arms for my height. I talked to another guy, about my size, that has ridden one and he indicated he was having a hard time getting comfortable. Seemed like the bars were to close and not enough distance between the seat and the pegs. Have you expierenced any of this? Are you close to the same size as me? Would a spring change take care of the rear shock issues? How does the 450 compare the 426 ergo wise for the bigger guys?

Originally posted by LOOPOUT:
Took my 450 out to VP today with my buddy (raptor)who bought my old 426..

The 450 is a blast to ride.... But before i go on i will answer the "Is it faster ??" We drag raced the bikes 3 times 1st time 426 won , next the 450 won, 3rd time we were dead even threw 5th gear but this was done just for fun as you dont drag race in mx from a dead stop, but it gives a nice idea of the power call it a draw...so basically it comes down to the rider as motox is 80-90% rider. On the track my buddy on the 426 smoked me all day, then again i am a nov rider & he is a fast int... I passed some yam & ktm thumpers & some passed me...

On the track the bike is pretty nimble, excellent brakes & power that builds like a big electric motor yet rev's out nicely. The bike was real neutral jumping in the air also. The 450 is also super easy to start hot or cold, even in gear out on the track... but then again i had the drill down on my 426 also so the only real adv this might be is if you stall during a actual race or you want to win Practice HA!

Compression braking was much less on the 450 but there is still some... i wouldnt chop the gas on a jump face...

The clutch pull on the 450 is very light... i hope it stays that way!! shifting was good... same as the blue meanie...

I would say bone stock the 426 has better stock suspension, but the honda seems to be pretty close to it but where the yam is pretty balanced stock the honda seems to be stiffer up front & a bit softer out back.. once i set the sag & went the back was better yet kinda springy... but for my 1st day of riding on the bike its in the ballpark just needs some tweaking with the clickers ..

Hopefully the 450 will be as bullet proof as the 426... i dont think ( as of today) there is a more reliable 4stk or even 2stk out there right now than the 426, it served me well.

I would rate them like this
Suspension (stock)
450--- B+
426--- A
engine
450 --- A+
426 --- A+
brakes
450---- A+
426 ---- A
starting
450--- A+
426--- B --- until you know the drill...
weight
450 ---A
426--- B
Reliablity
450--- ???
426--- A+++

I think both the bikes are awesome... the only handicap i see for the blue team is needing to go on a diet & starting the bike which just takes a few practice rides... but who can blame yamaha for not doing this sooner they are selling every stroker they make!

Also i didnt compare to KTM because i have yet to ride one ... but i do have 2 yrs on the 426 ....

But basically it all boils down to rider preference (ktm,honda,yam) all make excellent thumpers!!!!

------------------
Chopperman
00 KTM 520 EXC
01 Yamaha YZ 426
78 Yamaha TT 500
78 Yamaha SR 500

• LOOPOUT

Posted October 22, 2001 - 12:54 PM

I'm in austin

I am basically your build 6'1 & about 215-220 in battle armor.

I had no problems on the bike with the ergo's. IF ya have any problems you could always get a aftermarket triple clamp & move the bars forward, but for me its a nice fit.

I am very happy with the bike

might see you at motoplex one weekend...

• therapture

Posted October 22, 2001 - 07:21 PM

I am 6'4" and 240lbs. I rode Loop's 450, the ergo's are fine. All I would need to do is get some straighter bend bars and rotate them forward and the fit would be better....
Then again, I am used to crouching all over a bike, I am so tall and lanky...some say "lurchy" LOL...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.