Anyone managed to repair this?

17 replies to this topic
  • Bigdong

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Chain went on saturday and i thought i had managed to pick myself up another crankcase but its fallen through. Im guessing this is well beyond welding? I tried to find the piece that broke off but i couldnt even find the chain :(

Also if it cant be welded is anyone selling a left hand case year 06-09?

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:44 PM

By the time you spend enough money to fix that right, you can probably find a pair of cases for less. TT OEM sells the '06 set for $567.

• Bigdong

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:07 PM

By the time you spend enough money to fix that right, you can probably find a pair of cases for less. TT OEM sells the '06 set for $567.

I was hoping to pick up a second hand case but not found much.I was originally planning on buying new cases since bikes an 09 and its mint but by the time i add in a gasket kit and a new chain and sprocket plus other bits like new washers etc i might be better off parting the bike out and moving up a couple of years. Either way its a pain but ive got it stripped down pretty far so if i could get a case for cheap enough it would be easy enough to get going again.

• trickedout

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Just keep an eye on Ebay, they will pop up fairly cheap I'm sure.

• hillclimb426

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Had this same thing happen to my 08. My mechanic was able to have a local welder / engine builder make a mold and welded it to the case. Saved me $600 bike runs and doesn't leak oil. I believe they had another 08 engine to get the specks and general shape of the damaged area.

• OffroadBeaver

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thats a Honda CRF250R engine right?

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thats a Honda CRF250R engine right?

Wrong

• bryawn

Posted November 26, 2012 - 02:58 PM

That looks fixable to me since it's not a highly stressed area. I have a left case from an '04, but I'm guessing it won't work for you. Best to buy case halves in pairs in any case. In theory, they are center bored at the factory. Not sure how much variation there is really, but who knows.

On my bike, I traded an XR100 for a basket case with a big hole in the right case by the kick starter. I ended up a buying a complete '03 bottom end for around $500 on eBay. I then made more than my money back selling off the spare parts. Waste of money to spring for new OEM ones. Bike is running great.

Edited by bryawn, November 26, 2012 - 02:58 PM.

• OffroadBeaver

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Wrong

What is it then, the 450, or an other brand?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:41 PM

That looks fixable to me since it's not a highly stressed area. I have a left case from an '04, but I'm guessing it won't work for you.

The '04 won't fit. Has to be '06-'09. '07-'11 WR cases would work, too.

The area is not highly stressed, but it is highly critical. For one thing, there's quite a bit of machine wok involved in the bore for the clutch arm, which is partly because high pressure oil is passed through that bore to bridge from the mainshaft bearing to the output shaft. Not a simple repair job.

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:46 PM

What is it then, the 450, or an other brand?

Well, let's see. This is the YZ450 forum, so what would you guess? Or do we know that already?

• Modmotoman

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I try to use very good chains to avoid this. I had a cheaper chain once break a link but the other link held on.

• OffroadBeaver

Posted November 26, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Well, let's see. This is the YZ450 forum, so what would you guess? Or do we know that already?

My bad, I am kind of new to this, my stupidness.

• DarkFourTwoSix

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Too bad I didn't see this about a week ago.. I was offered a WR444 engine (426cc bored/stroked) Would of been an awesome engine to throw in that bike! I would watch craigslist and e-bay, sometimes someone will have burnt rings and think their bikes ruined and you can swoop in an entire bike for a low ball offer.
And I wouldn't suggest welding cast aluminum.. A tig welder and 50 years experience would have difficulty fixing that, if at all.

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:56 AM

Chain went on saturday and i thought i had managed to pick myself up another crankcase but its fallen through. Im guessing this is well beyond welding? I tried to find the piece that broke off but i couldnt even find the chain :(

Also if it cant be welded is anyone selling a left hand case year 06-09?

Posted Image

Hey Brother, There's a good deal on E-Bay for a Complete Case (NEW) http://www.ebay.com/...82f3f2e&vxp=mtr

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:58 AM

I noticed there is a reserve, if you want to bid may we can help you get past the reserve with counter bids.

• crf450319

Posted November 28, 2012 - 11:02 AM

His reserve is $100 more than the TT store and another OEM parts supplier I use on a regular basis. With a buy it now of $680, I'd doubt his reserve is much less than $550.

I always wonder, when you're selling something like that online don't you think people are going to price check ? I guess there's a sucker born every minute, maybe they're fishing hoping to reel one in ?

Here's a used set from an '07 for $350 shipped, seller has 12,500 feedback and a 99.9% positive rating :

http://www.ebay.com/...a9b0389&vxp=mtr

Edited by crf450319, November 28, 2012 - 11:05 AM.

• Bigdong

Posted November 29, 2012 - 10:35 AM

I managed to pick up an 08 casing and just replaced all the bearings in it after giving it a good clean so should have this up and running in no time. ive still had to throw a goood chunk of cash at it but atleast i can get back out again soon :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.