07 yz450f stall then hard to start when hot

Yamaha YZ450F 2007

56 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:11 AM

My bike started stalling on a long ride the other day. I recently had the valves replaced and the seats recut. Less than 5 hours ago. After the bike stall the bike is really hard to kick over, almost impossible. Then after afew kicks it would it would get easier to kick over and then start. did this multiple times. Babied it back to the truck. Do you think the valves are out of adjustment? I also installed a new timing chain, maybe it's bad?

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:13 AM

The bike was also making a high pitch wine like a loose fan belt sound.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:49 AM

Double check that the exhaust cam is timed right and check the operation of the decompression linkage. Odd set of symptoms.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:28 AM

The bike was starting on the first kick two days prior. seemed to be running great. but I wasn't pushing the bike as hard for very long. Ill check the timing and the decompression linkage.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:19 PM

the left side/ shifter side exhaust valve clearance is .5mm and the right side exhaust clearance is .7mm.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Timing is dead on. the decompression looks to be working.

Im going to check the intake clearance.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:38 PM

the left side/ shifter side exhaust valve clearance is .5mm and the right side exhaust clearance is .7mm.

Way too big. That will actually account for some of the hard to crank complaint, as it means that the valve lifter won't contact the decomp pin as soon as it should.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:12 PM

yeah the manual say it should be between .2mm and .25mm right? How much oil should be on the cams, they look pretty dry?

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:13 PM

I go with the feeler guage untill the next size up is hard to put in.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Alright I checked the intakes and only one is in spec. Left side= .23 center= .35 right side=.4

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ill go get some shims tomorrow. The book has a nice chart to show the needed shims once I take out the old shims my local mechanic should be able to get me the right shims.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Im kinda surprised my bike was starting at all.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:16 PM

Loose clearance is less likely to keep it from starting than tight would, other than the effect on the decomp setup. Who originally set up the clearances, you or the machine shop? If they did it, did they do it with the head on a bench or bolted down?

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Something else just occurred to me. Valves don't get loose from wear, they get tight. Yours are too loose.

Notice that the left end of both cams has tighter clearance than the right, and in the case of the intake, each one to the right is looser the farther along you go?

Check your cam caps. You might have seized it.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:07 PM

The machine shop shimmed the head for me... I have no Idea as to the method they used. The cam caps look kinda burred up on the edges. Havent taken the caps off yet but I will soon.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:16 PM

I bet it seized up too. I borrowed a snap on torque wrench to torque the caps. Now I wonder if the wrench is out of calibration.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Welp. You are right. It seized up. The cam cap bolts were finger tight, some of them even less. They may have loosend after the seize though the cams look dry to me like maybe the oil pump quit and the cams seized. the journals look trashed. most of the valve caps spin freely and look new. Im thinking the other two cam caps would spin too if the journals were deberred. Do you think the cams can be cleaned off since the head is softer than the cams? Im guessing most of the metal around the cams were they sit in journal comes off? Can the head be repaired? Do I have to split the cases to change the oil pump?

• Nautical Miles

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:59 AM

Who originally set up the clearances, you or the machine shop? If they did it, did they do it with the head on a bench or bolted down?

Just out of curiosity...... Where would the difference be in checking/adjusting valves with the head on a bench versus tq'd down? As an example, is it similar to using a torque block when honing cylinders?

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Something like that, yes, but it normally makes very little difference to a YZF if the head's truly flat. I've only seen the clearances vary from bench to bolted down a couple of times. It can happen, though.

• Family Man

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:24 AM

Cleaning up the galling and running it bad Idea?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

White/Blue Smoke on throttle - 07 450fw by fldrifter

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2007 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha YZ450F 2007
  • * * * * -
  • 35 reviews
  • Last review by Yammy Rider
  • On November 29, 2016
Forums
Photo

Pics of your 06-09 yzf 450 by tmrider

• Hot  268 replies
Forums
Photo

07 450 No Power by Mxdude91

• 14 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.