How to remove Sprocket Nut ?

12 replies to this topic
  • GlennR

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Is there a trick to removing the big nut that holds the front sprocket on?

How do I lock up the engine to loosen it? I know about putting rope into the spark plug hole, but that might not be the best thing for the WR.

I know some guys swap out sprocket sizes pretty often, so it must not be too hard, but I haven't do it before and don't want to wrestle a lot with it or break anything.

Should I use Loctite when replacing it?

• usdualsports

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Impact will get it off since is spins fast. If you don't have an impact you can have a buddy sit on the bike put it in gear and apply the rear brake. I have also had to put an item in the rear sprocket to keep it from moving like a rag around the chain. To do it correct use an impact.

• jawknee21

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:55 PM

I just put one back on yesterday. I would use loctite. An impact makes it easy. I kept it in neutral but had someone push the back brake while the chain is still on...

• GuyGraham

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:09 AM

Line bike up perpenduclar to a wall & put front wheel against wall
bike in first gear
sit on bike
back brake fully on
3 ft breaker bar with socket on the c/s nut

• usdualsports

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:11 AM

Line bike up perpenduclar to a wall & put front wheel against wall
bike in first gear
sit on bike
back brake fully on
3 ft breaker bar with socket on the c/s nut

I like the bike against the wall idea why didn't I think of that.

• MANIAC998

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:25 AM

Loctite isn't needed when re-installing the nut. That's what the lockwasher is for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Use an impact. It is the least stressful on the bike.

• GlennR

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Thanks guys.

I'll pick up an impact wrench/gun. Been wanting one anyway... I figured that was the best way.

• jawknee21

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:22 AM

Loctite isn't needed when re-installing the nut. That's what the lockwasher is for.

maybe im missing it but i cant find the sprocket on the fiche. what is it under?

nevermind found it. Under transmission...

Edited by jawknee21, November 13, 2012 - 09:27 AM.

• mslow

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:53 AM

i use a tripled up piece of safety wire and go through one chain link then to a hole in the rear sprocket, all while in nuetral.
no brake needed, i usually work alone so sometimes you have to improvise

• cwallershasta

Posted November 13, 2012 - 12:00 PM

I never had one that was to tight where I couldn't just set the bike on the ground and chock the rear wheel to get it off, but WD40 might help and I always clean up the spline on the shaft with it too. No need for locktite as you have the fold over spline washer, witch I buy and extra one to have if needed. I think after a couple of times of removal the washer gets comprimised folding it over the nut and it's good to just put a new one on.

Edited by cwallershasta, November 13, 2012 - 12:00 PM.

• YamaLink

Posted November 13, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Me trying to do it without an impact is a comedy of errors.....and a giant waste of time.

• GlennR

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Bought a $20 impact gun from HF, which did the job. Then when installing the new one I realized that my torque wrench is only a 3/8" and I need a 1/2"....Arrrg! Always "something".

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.