jumpy clutch

5 replies to this topic
  • etuke

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:40 AM

Everytime I start up my 2001 426 and try to move it the clutch is really grabby,I use the lever while warming it up trying to get oil around the plates but still it happens.Once I ride for a min the clutch works fine and really smooth.When I got the bike the basket was grooved but I filed it down smooth unless the grooves are back.Its more annoyng than a problem just would like to know why.

• skoobeesnak

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:44 PM

It sounds like a classic worn clutch basket to me.

• etuke

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:39 AM

It sounds like a classic worn clutch basket to me.

it was worn definately but I fixed that by filing it down,maybe its worn again.The clutch will work excellent once you start riding its just that first startoff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smokeslider

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Filing the grooves down didn't help anything besides prolonging the inevitable. Once you file them, they'll just wear even quicker. Time for a new clutch basket perhaps.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:43 PM

The 426 had an obnoxiously grabby clutch when it came out in 2000, and a Belleville spring and thrust plate were added in 2001. If these parts were omitted at some point, it's at least part of your problem. Review the post below, and look for items number 13 and 14, along with one friction plate that has a larger inner diameter than the rest (item #12):

Other things that can cause or contribute are excessive rotational play in the torsional cushioning assembly (broken or collapsed springs), notched basket and/or boss (hub), and even the extra clearance you created by filing the basket fingers. The plates themselves may be at fault as well. They don't have to look bad, but they can harden and their friction characteristics can change over time to make them act goofy.

• etuke

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:39 PM

all those parts are in there as I noticed them when I took the clutch apart and found it different than my kx250.Its more of an annoyance than anything as once you get going everything works great untill the next cold start.If I keep the bike I will be replacing the basket and plates next summer.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.