DRZ 400E exhaust

9 replies to this topic
  • BBouncer5150

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:56 PM

I own a new 2012 DRZ400s and have been looking around for an exhaust that I don't have to repack and decided that a stock E model full exhaust would be the best way to go. I found a good price on an '05 rear can and now will need to purchase a E header. Can I get a new '05 header through my local Suzuki dealer or through an online source? Also, I've learned through reading multiple posts on this an other sites that the mid-pipe mount is slightly different and that I'll have to mount it through one of the rear foot peg mounts. Are there any other mounting issues I need to be aware of?

• Craig-o

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:43 AM

No other issues I am aware of...Used E head pipes often appear on Ebay...
You could also try the TT store for new.......
https://www.thumpert...2004&model=5309

• BBouncer5150

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:31 PM

I picked up a very good condition stock can for $40 the other day from a parted out '05 and now I just need the header pipe. I couldn't find anything on Ebay, but found two sites that sell new OEM Suzuki parts and they list the header as available so I think I'm going to just go the stock route.

• lowercasee

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:02 AM

Don't forget to check the classifieds on TT. That's where I got my E header for a great price. You can actually use the S/SM muffler, which is apparently the same internally as the E muffler in the US, with the E header with a simple mod. Here's a link:

http://www.thumperta...th-ssm-muffler/

• DrzDick

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:16 AM

I fitted an S subframe on my E and had lots of mid pipe mounting point issues.

My bike an E, front pipe standard, rear is DEP. The fitted was pretty good on the E sub-frame (as you'd expect) but a PITA on the S.
Not only was the hole in the wrong place it's also too far inwards so was pushing the pipe into the rear spring - be prepared to have to dent the pipe to stop it fouling on the spring. It's also a little too far back so opens up the gap where your pipe join - that may just have been because of my pannier attachment part though.
Either way it can be a real PITA.

Next time I fit the S subframe I may pick up a used S rear pipe as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBouncer5150

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Dick, I'll take a look at the forums before I buy a new header. As to the mounting, I intend to fab a bracket of some sort and maybe install a spacer if needed to get it to mount up. I was initially going to go with a LV or FMF, but don't want to deal with the packing so I thought the stock E exhaust would be the best route for me.

Anyone have pics of their S model with an E exhaust so I can get an idea of what I'll need to do?

• BBouncer5150

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Lowercasee,

I read the post, but want to keep my stock exhaust intact in case I ever decide to put it back on.

• DrzDick

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Some of my older threads that might interest you.

http://www.thumperta...1#entry10080323

http://www.thumperta..._1#entry9987326
Good tip here - use a washer to space the subframe out.

http://www.thumperta..._1#entry9922410

Edited by DrzDick, November 14, 2012 - 04:45 AM.

• BBouncer5150

Posted November 14, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the links Dick. This looks like a much bigger job than I initially thought! I guess I'll have to rethink this...maybe a trip to the muffler shop with my standard S exhaust is in order, or leave it alone and just do the rejet and 3x3..

• Bedunjgi

Posted November 15, 2012 - 11:38 PM

I have a full setup with E header, heat shield, slip joint & S silencer in decent condition for sale but it ships from 96815 (Honolulu). I might consider selling just the header.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Bolt on shorty levers for DRZ-400SM? by TheSuperMotoTard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

• Hot  136 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

• 18 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.