Drz 400 upgrades?

22 replies to this topic
  • henerythefish

Posted November 10, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi! I recently bought a drz and was wondering if theres any other simple cheep up grades other then the 4x4 mod? thanks

• SupermotoHooligans

Posted November 10, 2012 - 12:47 PM

3x3 mod, air filter, JD jet kit, is a good inexpensive start.

Loctite fixes, mcct, case savers for reliability/protection

non performance wise, get rid of the huge blinkers, maybe a different front fender, different mirrors, edge tail light or something similar.

welcome to the forums. pics of the bike?

Edited by KaiserRolls, November 10, 2012 - 12:51 PM.

• Signman606

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Finding one at the right price is the challenge

and so it begins........welcome bud!

• Cravin Morehead

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Don't forget to change the crappy stock tires out.

• Knobbyaddiction

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Just throw a skid plate and case savers on it. Then replace the tires with some knobbies. Then, do the most important performance upgrade. Have your front and rear springs replaced and the front revalved. Have your rear sag adjusted.
Ride it that way for a year, seriously, don't listen to those trying to talk you into dumping a bunch of money into the engine, wait a year. Get used to the weight and suspension.Then, get new handlbars and risers, and probably larger footpegs.
That above is my best advice and the first things that you should upgrade on your bike. If you ride offroad, the suspension work will make you a much faster rider, more than engine work will.

Then, if ya want more power, get ahold of Eddie. You have 34-36 HP right now.

• henerythefish

Posted November 10, 2012 - 11:19 PM

3x3 mod, air filter, JD jet kit, is a good inexpensive start.

Loctite fixes, mcct, case savers for reliability/protection

non performance wise, get rid of the huge blinkers, maybe a different front fender, different mirrors, edge tail light or something similar.

welcome to the forums. pics of the bike?

It already has some stuff done the 3x3 mod and jet kit got it used so no lame turn signals and blinkers on it, i would post pics of the bike but its all apart since my petcock started leaking :(

• drzrobbcanuck

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:41 AM

one of the best first mods is a yamaha wr400-wr426 fuel petcock: shut it off when stopped, on for ride, no fuel in oil and no leaks.
other than that: the sky's the limit for mods: you can double the power, chop about 20lbs of weight off it, and set up the suspension to be just about perfect, armour it up, bling as you wish...
The drz is one of the most moddable bikes ever made-the problem is restricting yourself.

• henerythefish

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:51 AM

one of the best first mods is a yamaha wr400-wr426 fuel petcock: shut it off when stopped, on for ride, no fuel in oil and no leaks.
other than that: the sky's the limit for mods: you can double the power, chop about 20lbs of weight off it, and set up the suspension to be just about perfect, armour it up, bling as you wish...
The drz is one of the most moddable bikes ever made-the problem is restricting yourself.

ok but my question is what do you do with the vacuum hose?

• ekecko

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I've got the feeling that many people are just jumping into some of these mods without knowing exactly what those mods mean. It's like watching pinguins... one jumps and they all follow. The 3X3 mod in combination with a pipe upgrade (now THAT I do recommend) and the re-jetting will bring your gas autonomy down to half.
Personally I don't want a bike on roids, If I wanted the 2 or 3 HP I gain with the filter and the 3X3 mod I would've gotten a different bike.
Trust me, the DRZ gets the job done just fine with a pipe upgrade and a different jet-kit.
I did post on my blog however a video on how to get the 3X3 done: www.ekecko.net

Besides the pipe and the jet-kit I would quickly get:
a new seat, a renthal high bar (the 722-01 fits nice... I'm 5'9), rim locks [this bike is notorious for loosing shoes when air is low]
fk! the list goes on and on..
Anything related to looks I don't really care much about, they're just machines to me... fantastic machines!

• 707drz

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I've got the feeling that many people are just jumping into some of these mods without knowing exactly what those mods mean. It's like watching pinguins... one jumps and they all follow. The 3X3 mod in combination with a pipe upgrade (now THAT I do recommend) and the re-jetting will bring your gas autonomy down to half.
Personally I don't want a bike on roids, If I wanted the 2 or 3 HP I gain with the filter and the 3X3 mod I would've gotten a different bike.
Trust me, the DRZ gets the job done just fine with a pipe upgrade and a different jet-kit.
I did post on my blog however a video on how to get the 3X3 done: www.ekecko.net

Besides the pipe and the jet-kit I would quickly get:
a new seat, a renthal high bar (the 722-01 fits nice... I'm 5'9), rim locks [this bike is notorious for loosing shoes when air is low]
fk! the list goes on and on..
Anything related to looks I don't really care much about, they're just machines to me... fantastic machines!

while i agree with most of this...

the 3x3 is just simply that, a 3in by 3in hole cut into the top of the air box. while it is usually most only used with the addition of a new pipe, a pipe is not required when this mod is done. re jetting the carb is another story, if this is done

• Craig-o

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Where do you get this stuff from???...your not going to get 2-3HP from doing the 3x3 and a filter..
If you actually ran a stock DRZ on a dyno you would see that the stock jetting is way off...
The basic analogy of an engine is a pump...When you increase the exhaust gas flow (outlet), the inlet flow needs to be increased, this is done by the addition of the 3x3 mod, in combination with a jet kit...Sure you can get it to run ok without the 3x3, but not as well as it should..
Most people are doing exhaust and jet kits to improve performance, without the 3x3 it's like taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back...
If your fuel economy drops because the carb is delivering a correct fuel curve,.... so be it....., performance costs one way or another..
You really should do some research before posting...

Edited by CraigoDRZ485sm, November 13, 2012 - 10:06 PM.

• drzrobbcanuck

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:46 AM

one of the interesting things with the drz part of tt is the amount of knowledgable folk who frequent it. There may be a number of people doing the mods without knowing why, but there are some who really do understand the why and have created mods that work.
The way I did it is to put together a recipe book based on the thousands of threads in this forum, to create the bike I wanted for the riding I do-took a lot of research time, but avoided asking questions that had answers readily available.
First priority was range and ride, so tank and suspension work, then armour, so rad guards, case savers, handguards, rim lock... to make the bike survive-stock power but I was immediately faster and more comfortable at pace.
Next came performance: power was not a priority at first, but throttle response was, so the 3x3 and jet-big improvement.
Eventually power became a priority as I got better on the bike: cams, valves, pipe-getting near 40hp by now.
Later I added big bore, then (last, despite what everyone else does-and no regrets on the order in which I did it) fcr carb-now into mid-40's with excellent throttle response, good handling, lots of torque.
as time has gone on, i have been fine-tuning my setup with adjustments to suspension and ergos, tire choice and pressure.
The bike has been transformed into the ideal tool for the job I ask of it.
What do you want the bike to be?-it can be made into anything you want, but not ever as good at one thing as a purpose built machine: mx, xc, sm, adventure-all can be done, but not as well as the bikes of narrow focus designed for those sports. Then again, I only need one parking spot for my dirty bike, instead of several. I can ride wide open with 450 class bikes on the trails, can drone down the highway for thousands of km's, can torque/putt/chew through the woods, can do just about anything, and have been able to close the gaps on the purpose built machines in a wide range of conditions, all on one bike with one set-up-pretty happy. When I get on a stocker I am amazed at how far it has come-not even comparable really.

Edited by drzrobbcanuck, November 14, 2012 - 07:48 AM.

• drzrobbcanuck

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:03 PM

btw: the vacuum hose gets plugged off at the carb with a nipple cover or a bolt and some seal-all.

• ekecko

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Where do you get this stuff from???...your not going to get 2-3HP from doing the 3x3 and a filter..
If you actually ran a stock DRZ on a dyno you would see that the stock jetting is way off...
The basic analogy of an engine is a pump...When you increase the exhaust gas flow (outlet), the inlet flow needs to be increased, this is done by the addition of the 3x3 mod, in combination with a jet kit...Sure you can get it to run ok without the 3x3, but not as well as it should..
Most people are doing exhaust and jet kits to improve performance, without the 3x3 it's like taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back...
If your fuel economy drops because the carb is delivering a correct fuel curve,.... so be it....., performance costs one way or another..
You really should do some research before posting...

I don't think you understood what I wrote, so I don't think your last couple of lines were necessary buddy. I never suggested that anyone should run the 3X3 mod on the stock jet kit, so I don't know where you got that.
But I'll rephrase in a more didactic manner: After market pipe YES; re-jetting, ABSOLUTELY; 3X3 mod , not a hell of a change. Keep in mind that I'm also speaking from the adventure rider perspective... the gas mileage is a factor for me and my luggage... if we're talking about Es or Ss used mostly on dirt and around town, then the 3X3 maybe makes sense, just my two cents.

• ekecko

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:23 PM

while i agree with most of this...

the 3x3 is just simply that, a 3in by 3in hole cut into the top of the air box. while it is usually most only used with the addition of a new pipe, a pipe is not required when this mod is done. re jetting the carb is another story, if this is done

Thank you, that's exactly my point. I have an aftermarket pipe and 152 jet kit and the bike gained enough cojones to do everything I want it to do... I don't find it necessary to go and cut a hole and re-jet again.

• Craig-o

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:40 PM

I don't think you understood what I wrote, so I don't think your last couple of lines were necessary buddy. I never suggested that anyone should run the 3X3 mod on the stock jet kit, so I don't know where you got that.
But I'll rephrase in a more didactic manner: After market pipe YES; re-jetting, ABSOLUTELY; 3X3 mod , not a hell of a change. Keep in mind that I'm also speaking from the adventure rider perspective... the gas mileage is a factor for me and my luggage... if we're talking about Es or Ss used mostly on dirt and around town, then the 3X3 maybe makes sense, just my two cents.

Everything I mentioned in my post is factual , I was setting the record straight as not to create doubt in people's minds about why the 3x3 is highly recommended , especially when adding an after market pipe...
The type of riding is irrelevant ...generally the fuel consumption drops because more power is on tap and riders tend to use it...
Ridden with a steady right hand ,good fuel economy figures are still possible...
If fuel consumption is an issue ,of course a larger fuel tank is the best option...

• 707drz

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thank you, that's exactly my point. I have an aftermarket pipe and 152 jet kit and the bike gained enough cojones to do everything I want it to do... I don't find it necessary to go and cut a hole and re-jet again.

I don't think you really understood what I was getting at

• ekecko

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Everything I mentioned in my post is factual , I was setting the record straight as not to create doubt in people's minds about why the 3x3 is highly recommended , especially when adding an after market pipe...
The type of riding is irrelevant ...generally the fuel consumption drops because more power is on tap and riders tend to use it...
Ridden with a steady right hand ,good fuel economy figures are still possible...
If fuel consumption is an issue ,of course a larger fuel tank is the best option...

I am definitely getting a bigger tank for this bike, no question about that.
Now, I have an after market pipe and re-jetted, can I go ahead and cut the hole without re-jetting again?
if that's so, then I've been wrong all along about this

• Craig-o

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:46 PM

I am definitely getting a bigger tank for this bike, no question about that.
Now, I have an after market pipe and re-jetted, can I go ahead and cut the hole without re-jetting again?
if that's so, then I've been wrong all along about this

No you will need to increase your fuel rate when you increase the air flow...

• drzrobbcanuck

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:09 AM

just as a bit of additional experience; my drz with mikuni jetted and pipe and 3x3 and cams and 440 kit and 14/44 gearing got better mileage than a few stockers on long offroad rides averaged over several days of riding-infact, it got better mileage than all of the bikes I was riding with except an old xl350r: better than a gasgas 300 2 stroke, kdx 220, ktm 525, dr650s, drz's (e&s) ... mileage based on filling, riding, refilling to same point, and recording the amount of fuel used, over several days riding on different occasions.
The improvement in power and response comes without a measurable penalty of fuel consumption until you change the carb-at least in my personal experience over a few thou km's (like 20000km's)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

• Hot  86 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

• 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Sm/S riders, how often do you switch out your dirt and street tires? by carmstro2096

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.