Rebuild - identify these bits?

17 replies to this topic
  • blii

Posted November 10, 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hey guys,

Just rebuilding my drz, got the crankcase back together, however found a few bits on the bench that I can't identify. Looked through the manual, and the online microfiches but no luck.

Anyone know where these go?

Posted Image

My friends got a few projects on the go as well, but he seemed fairly certain they weren't from one of this bikes.

• ITS CHOOKEN

Posted November 10, 2012 - 02:31 AM

I hope there not from the gearshift mechanism

• DRZ400RUSH

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:02 AM

Don't they call them over the shoulder parts?

• GuyGraham

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:11 AM

they are from the gear shift mechanism, behind the clutch basket

http://www.ronayers....p/GEAR_SHIFTING
items 15 & 17

Edited by GuyGraham, November 10, 2012 - 03:13 AM.

• blii

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:47 AM

they are from the gear shift mechanism, behind the clutch basket

http://www.ronayers....p/GEAR_SHIFTING
items 15 & 17

I thought it was them too, pulled it apart but nope! The ones in the shifting mech are half as long and are just a plain cylinder with a slight dome on one end.

Also, they really should ban the use of philips head screws!

Edited by blii, November 10, 2012 - 03:48 AM.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Contacts and springs for the neutral safety switch.
Part 41 and 38

Posted Image

• Rhinoracer

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:27 AM

Also, they really should ban the use of philips head screws!

Or you could use the proper JIS screwdriver instead of stripping all your screw heads with a Phillips. I learned the hard way too, they are not phillips! :prof:

• Mayday702

Posted November 10, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Contacts and springs for the neutral safety switch.

Yup

• yellowdatsun

Posted November 10, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Never knew there was a JIS screwdriver. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to buy a set.

• blii

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:19 AM

Ah yup, that looks like it. Thanks marq.

JIS driver I think I had one cause I manage to get it off surprisingly easy. I'll double check cause I want to replace the drive shaft seal as well and I'm a bit wary of the screws that hold that retainer in. Any comments on using a manual impact screwdriver with the correct bit?

I'm gonna chase some countersunk hex head cap screws see if they fit, and some hex heads for the carby bowl.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 10, 2012 - 07:40 AM

I want to replace the drive shaft seal as well and I'm a bit wary of the screws that hold that retainer in. Any comments on using a manual impact screwdriver with the correct bit?

Hand impact driver and #3 cross tip bit works great, never had an issue.

JIS fasteners are common place in motorcycles, most can safety be removed using a GOOD quality standard cross tip driver of the right size... If you use a smaller size the required (common from what I see a lot......just grab the first cross tip at hand and start screwing :lol: ) you will see the driver cam out of the screw and damage it.

Case screws are easy as you can use the impact driver.. Things like carb screws are touchy as you can bust something if hit too hard. Float bowl screws on a FCR or Mikuni for the DRZ? No worry's the threaded section is well supported. TPS on Mikuni on other bikes (like my VTR) hitting those with a hand impact will break off a mounting tab.. The JIS driver is really needed here.

• blii

Posted November 10, 2012 - 02:27 PM

thanks e.marq, quality advice.

my first time with an engine apart, so have been pretty wary about going anywhere near a hammer! got a few things on today, but hopefully have the bottom end buttoned up this morning, will do the top tomorrow.

• Vintage Not Pimpage

Posted November 10, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Why is there only one spring and contact in the fiche?

They look like shift pawls

• blii

Posted November 10, 2012 - 10:52 PM

They are the contacts and springs for the neutral safety switch, just got it back together earlier and the rest of the bottom end stitched together. There are two, I think the micro-fiche just omits them for clarity.

I took the shifting mechanism apart, and all bits were account for.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:01 AM

Why is there only one spring and contact in the fiche?

Because they are identical parts, no need to show them twice. Because the OEM service manual and parts fiche are designed for Service Techs, not riders at home looking at them.. They can do well for both, just have to remember they are not designed for you... the end user. Look in the quantity required you will see 2 each.

They look like shift pawls

No, no they don't..... other then both being steel and partly cylindrical and both using a spring... that's about it.. Not shaped the same, not the same length, not the same diameter or length spring.. Nor do they look the same in the parts fiche.

• TxTiger

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:37 PM

So after I got no neutral light and no power to the starter after re-installing my engine, it was mentioned in another thread that I might be missing some parts to the neutral safety switch (NSS) that was removed in the take-out. So I did a search and found this thread. I then took the NSS off and I am missing part numbers 41 and 38 illustrated in the parts list E marquez posted. The op's pic shows two springs and two pins. E Marquez confirms there are two of these, but I'm confused, do they both go in the same hole? I only have one hole like in the illustration, except the center hole and that is a larger diameter. Thanks for any input.

• Noble

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have not worked on a motor with a neutral switch (E's don't have one). But the parts list does say 2 and Marquez conforms there are 2 so there must be 2. Maybe someone else can identify the assembly sequence.

• E.Marquez

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:19 PM

without taking one apart, if memory serves.. one pin is in the center, one on the outer edge.. the electrical "switch" contacts have two contact locations center and outer ring.
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

• Hot  65 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • 11 reviews
  • Last review by Thorgrim
  • On July 10, 2014
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

What did you BUY for your DRZ today by Craig-o

• Hot  1,966 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.