Head light on a YZ450F

26 replies to this topic
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted April 02, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Trail Tech ( I think ) makes a self-contained HID race light/battery pack combo that clamps on the forks in minutes and will run the light for about 4 hours on a charge. EXPENSIVE, though. Something smaller/lighter/cheaper can be had just as a trail light to deal with getting back late.

I have the trail tech set up and at night I can ride as fast at night as I dare ride during the day in open desert. Tighter single track I can ride fast but not full speed. The amount of light put out by the light is truly amazing it's just light does not bend so some times in the single track stuff it's hard to see how deep holes are.

• Baja Designs

Posted April 03, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Here's the link to the thread started by Baja Designs. The link to the harness now goes to an empty page. You may have to call and see if they still have them. If not please find out why they don't. Just want to be safe with my electrics.

http://www.thumperta...s#entry10041325

Here's that EFI harness you guys are talking about

http://www.bajadesig...emNumber=129042

• gunnin88

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:09 PM

I run a quad lead Baja designs off the stator and the rest of my street legal kit runs off a ballistic battery, I have to charge about every 10 rides. the headligh is brighter than my HID's in my Jeep.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gunnin88

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:11 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...a8b0450&vxp=mtr

• MikeMack

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Winter project - lights for my 2010 YZ! There were a few skeptical mechanics that told me this couldn't be done - HA! Thanks to loads of good info posted on the TT forums, some trial & error, and my trusty mechanic Steve Sage, it was a success!

Polisport HMX (LED) headlight ~ $100 (clears the ECU with mounting kit supplied)
Polisport (LED) tail light ~$30 (very small and lightweight)
K&S universal headlight on/off switch ~$25
K&S pressure switch (for rear brake light) ~$30
Galfer front brake line to clear the headlight (I bought one that fits the 2013 WR model because the YZ stock brake line is too short) ~$90

This works and looks AWESOME - No battery required! The LED lights are bright, don't dim at low rpm, and they use very little power. The stock stator has plenty of extra juice to run the lights, but needs a lot of juice to start the bike and fire the EFI. You can probably start without switching the lights off, but the on/off switch seemed like a good idea and was inexpensive.

I didn't use this harness but it's worth checking out...
Baja designs has a plug-in switch for the EFI YZ harness & instructions for connecting the switch and wiring harness on a YZ450 EFI bike. http://www.bajadesig...NSTRUCTIONS.pdf

One Small modification: hole drilled through the headlight mount left side for the brake line to feed through - lines up perfectly with the guide on the left fork.

Edited by MikeMack, April 04, 2013 - 09:16 PM.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:55 PM

Winter project - lights for my 2010 YZ! There were a few skeptical mechanics that told me this couldn't be done - HA! Thanks to loads of good info posted on the TT forums, some trial & error, and my trusty mechanic Steve Sage, it was a success!

Polisport HMX (LED) headlight ~ $100 (clears the ECU with mounting kit supplied)
Polisport (LED) tail light ~$30 (very small and lightweight)
K&S universal headlight on/off switch ~$25
K&S pressure switch (for rear brake light) ~$30
Galfer front brake line to clear the headlight (I bought one that fits the 2013 WR model because the YZ stock brake line is too short) ~$90

This works and looks AWESOME - No battery required! The LED lights are bright, don't dim at low rpm, and they use very little power. The stock stator has plenty of extra juice to run the lights, but needs a lot of juice to start the bike and fire the EFI. You can probably start without switching the lights off, but the on/off switch seemed like a good idea and was inexpensive.

I didn't use this harness but it's worth checking out...
Baja designs has a plug-in switch for the EFI YZ harness & instructions for connecting the switch and wiring harness on a YZ450 EFI bike. http://www.bajadesig...NSTRUCTIONS.pdf

One Small modification: hole drilled through the headlight mount left side for the brake line to feed through - lines up perfectly with the guide on the left fork.

Here is a video with a bike done with I think the same kinda thing you have done. It looks pretty sweet. Starts putting stuff on around the 2 min mark and you can see it after the race around the 18 min mark.

http://youtu.be/tq_aenRIpeY

Edited by f150jokerstyle, April 05, 2013 - 06:57 PM.

• zeuszuki

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I use a 1000 lumen head mounted MTB LED light, 30 hours low beam, 10 hours mid beam , 3 hours high beam. With it being mounted on top of your helmet you just point it in the direction you want to go, even "around corners" etc

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.