Head light on a YZ450F

26 replies to this topic
  • dlee

Posted November 06, 2012 - 03:01 PM

Has anyone tried this yet, if so what brand of head light did you use (fit ok) and was the stock stator able to run this light.
Not wanting to make this bike street legal, just want a head light on the bike if I am on a trail heading back to the truck

Thanks

Dan

• jake400s

Posted November 06, 2012 - 03:35 PM

I would like to no the same thing. I'm wanting to do the same thing.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 06, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Has anyone tried this yet, if so what brand of head light did you use (fit ok) and was the stock stator able to run this light.
Not wanting to make this bike street legal, just want a head light on the bike if I am on a trail heading back to the truck

Thanks

Dan

EFI bike?

• jake400s

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Mines a 2008 carb. I have read the whole wr swap this and that and the list goes on. It is to much work for me just to get a headlight. I was just wondering if there was an easy way someone knew of.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:59 AM

For EFI bikes, Baja Designs makes a simple plug in harness and switch for a headlight. I've got it all in my garage, but I need to strip the bike down some to get at the electrical plugs and other wiring. I'm connecting a Polisport LED headlight that fits perfectly over the CDI. The light output of the Polisport isn't blinding but is pretty impressive for 6W total power draw. I plan to connect it all when I get a larger gas tank and eventually I'll change the high beam bulb to a 10W.

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Mines a 2008 carb. I have read the whole wr swap this and that and the list goes on. It is to much work for me just to get a headlight. I was just wondering if there was an easy way someone knew of.

The only effective way is to power the lamp from a separate battery. If you look, you can find aftermarket stators that have been rewound to include power for lights, but NONE of these that I've ever heard of are reliable enough to run the bike dependably, never mind any larger lights. The stock stator on any YZ450 before the EFI bikes has NO extra power available for any such accessory.

• Smokeslider

Posted November 09, 2012 - 07:22 AM

You can run a head light with li-ion batteries. I've been running a 8" HID race light on an 06 yz450f without issues. Yes, the extra battery weight isn't ideal but you'd have a decent setup with on lithium-ion battery powering a mid-power LED.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Trail Tech ( I think ) makes a self-contained HID race light/battery pack combo that clamps on the forks in minutes and will run the light for about 4 hours on a charge. EXPENSIVE, though. Something smaller/lighter/cheaper can be had just as a trail light to deal with getting back late.

• High_Boost

Posted November 09, 2012 - 08:10 AM

You can run a head light with li-ion batteries. I've been running a 8" HID race light on an 06 yz450f without issues. Yes, the extra battery weight isn't ideal but you'd have a decent setup with on lithium-ion battery powering a mid-power LED.

where do you mount the batteries, and what size batteries are you using?

Where does the battery go on a WR? is there a compartment built into the subframe that holds it under the seat or something?

• Smokeslider

Posted November 09, 2012 - 11:49 AM

where do you mount the batteries, and what size batteries are you using?

Where does the battery go on a WR? is there a compartment built into the subframe that holds it under the seat or something?

There is enough cord to mount the Batteries wherever you want to, some mount in airbox but doesn't leave much room in there after you put 2 batteries in. I mounted the batts on the outside of the light housing so it's all contained to one unit. I just use the supplied hoseclamps to mount the light/battery package to my forks. Obviously a downside to this set-up is the added weight to the front end which may or may not be worth it to some. I've found it's the best trade-off for my racing situations. You could also carry the batteries in a backpack/fanny pack but this set-up requires you to be tethered to the bike. May not be an issue for trail riding, but for racing, it wasn't something I wanted to deal with. I'm sure there are other places to put the batteries, I just haven't seen anything out there yet that met my needs as much as having a self-contained unit did.

Note: The above set-up is specific to the "8 race light setup. If you used a different light like the H2 (trail tech) then the battery setup would need to be different.

Another option is to use something like the Cyclops Solstice. This light puts out amazing power for a such a small package. I've used it alone for night racing and Travis Pastrana used it alone for Baja 1000. It can be setup with dual batteries in a back-pack and last quite a while.

I'm not sure what expensive is to you but the above options aren't the cheapest options out there but you gotta pay to play IMO.

Not sure about the WR question specifically, I think I remember seeing them mostly under the seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeMack

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:39 PM

I am looking to istall a Polisport head and tail light on my 2010 YZ 450f. I saw a video where this was done to a 2011 YZ 450f (essentially the same bike) My question is: do you need to add a stator or bateries to make this setup work on an EFI bike? Does the rectifier/regulator on the EFI bikes provide enough juice to run these lights??

• jackbombay

Posted November 22, 2012 - 10:32 PM

just want a head light on the bike if I am on a trail heading back to the truck

There are numerous high power LED flashlights available nowdays that would do the job fine, something with ~300 lumens would be plenty, and would run for about 3 hours on a high capacity 18650 cell, those are also quite small and easily fit in your pack, something I wouldn't ride without anyway, you would need a double hose clamp set-up to hold the light to your bars, but as it wouldn't be for regular use it wouldn't be bad to take a minute to fasten it to your bars and still have 3 hours of light.

Seems like a good solution to your needs. The battery and a charger would add up a bit, or you could get something that runs off 2 AA batteries and would still put out close to 200 lumens for a couple hours.

I've lent a 100 lumen light to a guy on a ride that ran late and it was plenty of light to ride by really, way more than his 3 D cell mag light.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted November 26, 2012 - 01:37 PM

I am looking to istall a Polisport head and tail light on my 2010 YZ 450f. I saw a video where this was done to a 2011 YZ 450f (essentially the same bike) http://youtu.be/tq_a...tq_aenRIpeY��My question is: do you need to add a stator or bateries to make this setup work on an EFI bike? Does the rectifier/regulator on the EFI bikes provide enough juice to run these lights??

Do a search in this forum for bajadesigns headlight switch. It is a plug and play switch for adding a headlight. I am using the switch in conjuntion with a relay to run the Polisport LED headlight and tailight. The headlight is 6W and I believe the tailight is .75W. The stator has plenty of power but needs almost all of it to start the bike, hence the on/off switch. I also plan to run constant power to the tail light, a Trailtech computer, and thermostatic switch for a cooling fan. The relay will cut power to those when the bike stalls and allow the stator to supply full power to the pump and ignition for starting.

This is the plan anyway.

• MikeMack

Posted November 27, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the reply!! Your plan sounds good. What year is your bike? Just wondering since this will make a difference (EFI or carb). I've also heard of some folks incorporating a lightweight recharable battery which runs the lights and gets recharged by the bike while the engine is running...

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2012 - 09:19 PM

What year is your bike? Just wondering since this will make a difference (EFI or carb).

It makes a huge difference. The '03-'05 and '06-'09 carb model YZ450 have stators smaller than your gas cap. They have only 4 coils, and NO leftover power that can be tapped for anything. They have been rewound for lighting, but the result is a weak and unreliable ignition and only 35w DC.

The EFI bikes from '10 on have a 115w system on board, already rectified to DC voltage and regulated to 12v. It doesn't need that much power to run, but it needs a magneto with that kind of potential to generate enough current at cranking speeds to operate the fuel system. Once the bike is running, it has a good sized surplus, and you can turn on a switched lighting system.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted November 27, 2012 - 10:31 PM

I have a 2011. The lights and wires are sitting in my garage. I just need to pick up the relay, cooling fan, thermo switch, and finally an oversize tank then I'll strip it all down and make it work.

• MikeMack

Posted November 29, 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys - very helpful!!

• AKadventure

Posted April 02, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't know if I am just being retarded today or what, but I cannot find the wiring harness on Baja Designs website. Can someone please post a link?

• WouldsAssassin

Posted April 02, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Here's the link to the thread started by Baja Designs. The link to the harness now goes to an empty page. You may have to call and see if they still have them. If not please find out why they don't. Just want to be safe with my electrics.

http://www.thumperta...s#entry10041325

• JohnBee

Posted April 02, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Try an LED solution.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.