Oil Consumption

4 replies to this topic
  • phipee

Posted November 06, 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hi Guys ! While waiting for my parts to arrive I am still wondering how did my bike end with oil starvation. I thought that the oil pump had gone as I personally changed 1.8l of oil around 700 miles ago. Later however I drained what was left and got not more than a litre out of the DRZ. That makes more than 100ml per 100 miles been burned !?

So what is your typical oil consumption ? Have you noticed increased oil burn in specific conditions..i.e motorway ride ? What are the most typical causes for that ?

Forgot to mention - my bike is K6 with 10K miles on the clock Posted Image

• DrzDick

Posted November 06, 2012 - 06:49 AM

My bike is year 2000 E with almost 10,000 miles on the clock and I change oil at roughly 1,000 miles intervals.
I notice no oil consumption at all between changes - measured on the dip stick (I don't measure the oil out as I tend to loose loads in the process :lol: )

I'm guessing highway use & sustained high revs will be common cause of oil use - I don't do much of either.

Edited by DrzDick, November 06, 2012 - 06:49 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Black_DRZ

Posted November 06, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Oil quality will also have an impact on oil consumption.
Sustained high revs will consume more oil.

• JoeMongo

Posted November 06, 2012 - 11:15 AM

My bike is year 2000 E with almost 10,000 miles on the clock and I change oil at roughly 1,000 miles intervals.
I notice no oil consumption at all between changes - measured on the dip stick (I don't measure the oil out as I tend to loose loads in the process :lol: )

I'm guessing highway use & sustained high revs will be common cause of oil use - I don't do much of either.

Like DRZDick, my DR-Z400S uses no oil between 1K changes. 90 percent or more of my miles are dirt trails and/or fire roads. I use Mobil1 4T 10W40 moto specific synth and either WIX or K&N filters.

• yellowdatsun

Posted November 06, 2012 - 11:56 AM

Bikes tend to use more oil than cars anyways. So "missing" oil is usually to be expected on most bikes. Bikes like Golwdings, with multiple cyclinders and a design for loping on the highway are probably different. But in my experience the singles tend to use some oil.

Bikes are also veeery sensetive to not having their oil changed. It's not like a car, where you can double the time between changes and not see a big difference. With bikes you've got such a tiny amount of oil, some of which gets used, leaving you with even less to continually circulate through the motor. So it gets dirty quick, and the small amount of dirty oil keeps going through the engine/tranny.

So change it often, and keep it topped off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  66 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2015
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.